Installing Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) On Nokia N900
- NITDroid Development Forum
NITDroid Project: Development Forum
Installing Android 2.3 On Nokia N900
The following guide outlines the installation of Android 2.3 Gingerbread on a Nokia N900 with firmware version 1.3
Search Google for relevant programs and necessary files.
1) Ensure you have installed necessary drivers for N900 smartphone.
2) Root device as per the following;
- Navigate to Package Manager
- Add Source to the repository and include the following credentials
Catalog name: extras-maemo
Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras/
Components: free non-free
Once source has been added and application manager has refreshed. Browse packages and install program titled 'rootsh'
Once installed navigate to X-Terminal type 'sudo gainroot' to test. If done properly you should now be escalated to root privileges in terminal window.
If you wish to gain SSH access to the device download 'Open SSH Client and Server' package from application manager. Program will request that you set your SSH password at time of installation. You can use a program such as WinSCP for your interactions. Obtain the latest version at the following link: http://winscp.net/eng/index.php
- Note the following section details the procedure for flashing Android to Internal Memory (EMMC)
- In order to flash Android you must download both kernel and gingbread tar files. Both files may be located at 'nitdroid project' homepage. Refer to Google.
- Tested with 2.6.28 kernel and Nitdroid N11 software version
- Be patient as commands may take time to process.
1) In X-Terminal type the following code:
root apt-get update apt-get install nitdroid-installer Confirm request (NOTE: Do not run program once downloaded)
Remember not to run the installer once downloaded. Put your device in Mass Storage mode and transfer the kernel and android files acquired earlier to 'MyDocs' folder.
2) Next type the following code:
root cd /home/user/MyDocs bzip2 -d gingerbread.tar.bz2 cd /home mkdir /and cd / mount /home /and cd /and tar xvf /home/user/MyDocs/gingerbread.tar dpkg -i /home/user/MyDocs/nitdroid-kernel-2.6.28-06_final1_armel.deb
Once process is complete the installation procedure is finished. You may reboot your device and slide open upon powering on. Select NitDroid option from Boot menu. Wait for operating system to load.
More by this Author
This article is a guide to unlocking 'Old Security' Blackberry devices from within Windows. This method is compatible specifically with old security units. Will not work with any 'New Security' models. Consult the...
This article details the unlock and jailbreak procedure for an IPhone 2G running firmware version 3.1.3. This enables Cydia, provides capability to configure "Installous", and unlocks the device for use with...
This procedural article will detail how to debrand and flash a Motrola Razr V3. The benefits to debranding include removing all carrier customizations and restrictions aswell as added enhancements and improved...
No comments yet.