Introduction to Microsoft Office Word 2007 and How to Use the Office Button
Microsoft Office Word 2007
In my previous hubs, I have tackled how to use and work with Microsoft Office Word 2003. In this hub, we are going to have a look at using Microsoft Office Word 2007. When Microsoft Office Word 2007 was introduced, it came up with some new features making it a little bit hard for some people to work with comfortably. It might not have been a challenge to the technical people. Nevertheless, it is a good program to use for creating text documents and formatting. Once you get used to it, you get addicted to it.
Opening Microsoft Office Word 2007
To open Microsoft Office Word 2007, click the Start button, in the lower left corner of the screen, then click All Programs, move the cursor over Microsoft Office and select Microsoft Office Word 2007. If you have a short cut icon placed on the Windows desktop, double click quickly on it to open.
Features of Microsoft Office Word 2007
The features of Microsoft Office Word 2007 window are almost similar to those of Microsoft Office Word 2003. The most common new feature is the replacement of the toolbar with ribbons and the file menu has been replaced with the office button. The other menus have been replaced by tabs. Moving your cursor over the Microsoft Office Button a preview image appears, the Office button also turns orange.
The Office Button
The Office Button
Clicking on the Office Button, a ‘File like menu’ appears. The commands in the file like menu are used as follows:-
- New – for creating a new blank word document.
- Open – opening a previous saved document. Note that you can also open your document by selecting it from the recent documents.
- Save – command for saving your document. Use this command to keep on saving changes as you work on your document. This helps you to prevent instances of data loss in case of sudden loss of power.
- Save as – this command allows you to save your word document using the version you want. It will also allow you to change the file name and the destination if need be. Talking of versions, if you intend to open your document later with a lower version of Word, then save your document using Word 97-2003 document option.
- Print – Use this command for printing, quick printing, and print previewing your Word document.
- Prepare – the prepare command allows you to prepare your document for distribution in a number of ways. You can check properties, inspect document, encrypt document (use this option to set a password for your Word document), restrict permission, add a digital signature, mark as final, and run compatibility checker.
- Send – use this command to send your document to email or internet fax.
- Publish – this command is for publishing the document to blog, sharing the document by saving it to a document management server, and creating a document workspace.
- Close – use this command to close your word document.
Word Options and Exit Word
Word options button is found at the bottom of the Office button commands window. You can use the word options for making necessary adjustments to your document. Such Options that you can change to enhance your working ability are:-
- Popular options
- Trust Center
Exit Word:- This command is for quitting or closing the Word document you are working on.
How to Use the MS Office Word 2007 Home Ribbon Tab
Microsoft Office Word 2007 comes with seven Ribbon Tabs that you use to format your document the way you want. Looking at them at first glance, you might feel intimidated and disoriented. Let me assure you that going through this hub will make you like Microsoft Office Word 2007 and its new feature of the Ribbon use.
The Home Ribbon Tab
Home Tab Has Got The Following Command Groups
Clipboard Group – the clipboard acts as a temporary storage area where text or other data cut or copied (using the cut and copy command) from a document is kept until it is pasted into another document. The commands you will find here are cut, copy, paste, paste special, paste as a hyperlink, and the format painter. The format painter is used for copying formatting style from one place to another. By clicking on the dialog box launcher found on the clipboard group, you will open the office clipboard task pane. Then you will be able to see the objects you have cut or copied even from other programs.
Font Group – The font group consists of font formatting commands. These are the font, font size, bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, subscript, superscript, change case, text highlight colour, and font colour. You can also open the font dialog box by clicking on the dialog launcher. The font dialog box will help you apply all the font and character spacing format you want.
Font Formatting Tools
Paragraph Group – The paragraph group has commands that relate to paragraph formatting. These are bullets, numbering, multilevel list, decreasing and increasing indents, sorting, showing or hiding paragraph marks, text alignment (left, centre, right, and justified), shading, and borders. You can click on the dialog launcher to show the paragraph dialog box. The paragraph dialog box will be used for indenting and spacing of paragraphs.
Styles Group – The styles group allows you to apply different styles to your document for instance heading, title, subtitle, list paragraph among others. You can also change styles by changing the style set, colours, and fonts.
Editing Group – this group has got important commands like find, replace, and object selecting. You use the find command to find the text or text phrases you want. It is an improtant tool that will save you manual search. Use the replace tool to replace text or text phrase with what you want. For instance, let us say I want to change the word "document" with "file". What I will do is to use the replace tool to find and replace the word.
Do you use Microsoft Word often?See results without voting
© 2013 Patrick Kamau
More by this Author
When you are almost done with your document, it is important to do some reviewing like checking spelling and grammar. This and other useful commands are found on the Review Tab of Microsoft Word 2007
The table menu is used for inserting tables in MS Office Word 2003. This tutorial shows you how to insert or draw tables in MS Word 2003 and also how to perform calculations in the table.
The motherboard includes components crucial to the functioning of a computer. Among them, the Central Processing Unit and Random Access Memory. Learn more about the parts and their functions.