Library Of Congress A Generation Twitter Time Capsule of Public Tweets
Total Loss Of Privacy in USA
The IRS Removes Your Constitutional Rights To Privacy. The IRS can read your email, your chats and all your digital communications without a warrant.
- Newly disclosed documents prepared by IRS lawyers say that Americans enjoy "generally no privacy" in their e-mail, Facebook chats, Twitter direct messages, and similar online communications -- meaning that they can be perused without obtaining a search warrant signed by a judge.
NSA Security Has Your Information | Secret USA Spying from Collected Data
- The Guardian provides two July 2009 documents signed by Eric Holder, the 82nd Attorney General of the United States, that explains what conditions will allow the NSA to make use of information "inadvertently" collected from domestic US communications without a warrant. The documents detail the procedures the NSA is required to follow to target "non-US persons" under its foreign intelligence powers and what the agency does to minimize data collected on US citizens and residents in the course of that surveillance. "The documents show that even under authorities governing the collection of foreign intelligence from foreign targets, US communications can still be collected, retained and used."
- PDF FILE | Procedures used by the National Security Agency for Targeting Non-United States Person Reasonable believed to be located outside the US to acquire foreign intelligence information pursuant to Section 702 of the foreign intelligence surveillance act of 1978 as amended.
Issues of Privacy and Individual Rights
The concept of archiving billions upon billions of public tweets that will be stored in the Federal Library of Congress boggles the mind.
A number of concerns and thoughts you may want to consider surrounding the issue of permanent storage of tweets.
- What you say on Twitter will become permanent.
- Any tweet can be retrieved as a record of your interactions and thoughts.
- Legally, how can these tweets be used to track what trends in the global market and to evaluate statistical dynamics of the power of people and their voice?
- The federal government can data mine through the power of massive computer technology the course of future. Can they direct our thoughts via propaganda?
- What are privacy issues for each person?
- The possibilities are unlimited concerning what research areas can utilize this information for financial gain, for future construction and design of cities, for social scientists to view the mood of the people, for anthropologists to study cultures, etc. Literally experts in every field will find a use for this information.
- Will federal granting agencies find ways to use your public tweets? Did you give permission for them to use this information in this way?
- I predict the federal courts, and perhaps at some time in the future the supreme court, may get involved in this data and who can have access, what countries and governments can obtain this information, and whether people can retrieve information on individuals, groups, companies and organizations.
- Remember that Twitter profiles are produced by business and industry, as well as individuals, non-profits and media organizations.
- Who will have access to track the responses of individuals, groups of people, states, and nations to the media tweets from mass media and alternative media sources? How can this information be used to develop programs and future messages when they find out what types of messages receive the most activity?
- Will profile avatars and biographies be included in the archive?
A Time Capsule | When we were in elementary school, we put some treasured mementos and a letter to ourselves inside a box that was wrapped up and closed. We were told this could be opened at a future date, usually upon graduation from elementary school, middle school or high school to see how our values and thoughts had changed.
♥.•**· We could see if we still wanted to grow up to be the ballerina or the mailman. We could access our relationships, whether we retained the same friendships or living in the same house and location, or whether we had gained or lost family members.
♥.•**· Time capsules have been sent into space. Time capsules retain and store information and iconic items from a period in time. Time capsules can provide information about cultures and eras to cache to study and research for archaeologists, anthropologists, and historians.
Have you ever made a time capsule?See results without voting
Unanswered questions abound about the storage and retrieval of the vast array of personal conversations, interactions, responses and announcements, connections to weblinks and millions of webpages and blogs.
Sometimes I don't have to wonder that Big Brother is watching us.
Be careful what you say.
As a note: any protected or private tweets will not be part of this project
What about DM or Direct Messages? Are these considered private? It appears thatDM messages live in limbo land where they are considered neither private nor public.
- News Report | Records Management News | Library of Congress to receive entire Twitter Archive
- Visit the Library of Congress in Washington, DC, the nation's capital city. This branch of the US Congress stores one of the world's largest number of book and printed materials in 470 languages. With the inclusion of Tweets and social media this number will increase exponentially. The library houses the largest collection of legal matter, aeronautical literature and rare books of North America.
Knowledge Is Power
With the archival documentation of all tweets into the arm of Congress I have decided to:See results without voting
Marshal McLuhan The Medium Is The Message
MAKE THIS NEWS GO VIRAL
ON THE POSITIVE SIDE
Hey! We are all a part of history. Our voices together DO make a difference in the direction humanity takes on the whole.
If you hashtag #environment #peace #love #compassion then our cumulative tweets will be a strong statement to those listening, influential, and part of the data mining statistics.
If congress and government officials can read the voice of the people, our desires, needs and wants will they draft appropriate bills and pass legislation that fits our needs and means the government IS responding to the voice of the people? I can only pray. We can only hope.
- Quote | "The library's Twitter partnership comes amid a renewed push by the administration and the National Archives and Records Administration for federal agencies to better archive their own social media postings and emails as potential government records."
- Documenting Public Records | Go To FederalNewsRadio dot com ?nid=247&sid=2658996 | Title : Library of Congress to receive entire Twitter archive. Government spending on archiving communications such as, emails, chats, tweets, becomes a requirement to document and record conversations and messages amongst public servants. Since we do not have hard copies of letters in this day and age, the digital communications enable restoration of clandestine or overt interactions that lead to major and minor decisions in government.
Social Media is no longer a by-line or a side-line or can be easily dismissed. Social media has been integrated into every avenue of life. People connect via their cellphone, computer, and tablets. We network constantly 24 hours a day. It's as if Social Networking has become the BRAIN and the HEADQUARTERS of humanity across the world. We have a human universal consciousness that we express through these communications. In a way, our thoughts have become externalized in the world as audio and visual messages.
The national archives has 10 billion pages of digital textual records.
The world has inexorably changed forever.
You are not invisible anymore.
You are meaningful.
You are the message.
Marshall McLuhan was right, "The media is the message."
OTHER STORIES OF INTEREST
Google Owns The Internet, Google Rules
Google may be the Czar of the internet but they also have a sense of humor and fun for the holidays. Seasonal Interactive and Animated Greetings Cards may be found on the Google Main page.
What To Do About Spam?
Twitter had a major problem with Spam in the beginning and hackers always find ways around the problem of spam filters. Check out my hub about spam.
A Hubpages Winter Message Of Love, Hope, Vision and Awakening
In this winter season of darkness, cold and depression, I send this message of light and encouragement. Being an active member of a social networking blog community we connect with each other. We find like-minded people and make friends across cultures and continents. Listen to "AMAZING GRACE" and leave a comment. I'm hoping you'll like it. Blessings, Debby
Learn The Benefits Of Retweets
I wonder how the data miners will tabulate the "Retweets" that cross the twitterverse constantly by the same individual, friends, partner and others?
This Hubpages tells the hubpages community and the internet world that the US Library of Congress will archive billions of Twitter Tweets for data mining, storing and recording global messages, conversations and interactions of this micro-blogging social media. How will you respond? Will this change your blogging habits?
About the Author
Debby Bruck, CHOM loves to write about various topics on Hubpages. As a graphic designer she loves to create compositions with the elements of design. Debby is the founder of Homeopathy World Community a social network of professional homeopaths enlightening the world to the healing powers of energy medicines. She hosts numerous radio shows each week on a variety of health topics. Debby believes that homeopathy is the wave of the future that provides hope and healing to those who have tried every other approach. Follow Debby on Twitter
If You Enjoy Hubpages You may want to Join Now to become an author on hubpages. People join for so many reasons. They want to participate in a lively community. They want to improve writing skills, learn more about social networking, find poets, argue about the politics of the day, post information about their knowledge base and much more.
Just in case you missed it. Economic Students are Selfish.
The Government Continues To Spy On The American People
VOTES, RATINGS & COMMENTS ADD VALUE TO THIS HUB
More by this Author
"Twitter Censoring Trending Topics? Isn't It About Time?" It's a bit of a paradox to bring this subject of censorship and spam to our attention. New Twitter Spam Filter!
29 reasons why I joined and use Twitter. That's why Twitter is special to me. Make a list and realize how much you love to tweet.
A frontier in medical treatment. Bloodless Surgery for transplants, trauma, injury and more.