MagicJack - The Things They Will Not Tell You Before You Buy!!
Do you use Magic Jack for mostly what type of calls.See results without voting
Magic Jack - A Video Of Some Issues
Magic Jack Poll Question
How Would You Rate Vocie Quality Of Magic Jack CallsSee results without voting
Magic Jack is indeed a unique idea and also well intentioned. The service is meant to try to provide a low cost telephone option to the general public at a very low cost. Currently as of the writing of this HubPage the cost of the device is 39.95 one time and then 19.95 for the yearly service fee. This gets you phone service and unlimited long distance, that's not a bad price for what you get.
This is all rather virtuous, but then reality sets in; First of all Magic Jack works on Voice Over IP. I'm not a huge fan of VOIP, read my HubPage on that subject. Secondly it is possible to do this yourself for almost as cheap,see my HubPage on that as well.
Lastly MagicJack like everything else has it's downside:
- The TOS of Terms of Service Scares Me. I have read a TOS agreement and it appears to require you let them advertise and they seem to have the right to access you computer. It appears they want to send context advertising to their application on your PC. This uses your bandwidth and could barrage you with ads. I could be wrong here so read for yourself.
- Magic Jack only works as long as your computer is on, therefore if you want to have a phone on all the time, you need to have your computer on all the time. The $19.95 cost does not mention your extra power bill for having to do that.
- It also is VOIP based and the quality of the call will vary according to how good the Internet connection you have is, low speed DSL and this unit might not be a happy marriage.
- Currently you can't keep your phone number (Port it) but according to the site
this service is coming in fact it's in Beta and will cost a nominal fee, I have not tried this service.
- Customer Service is not very good apparently. Getting a human to talk to is apparently not an option, you can apparently only pass text type messaging with the customer service members. It appears that they had pretty good service initially but as the use of it has exploded, service has declined. Personally I think they will get a handle on this and fix it.
- I also hear they have billing problems, but then again so does Verizon. This can be very frustrating, and is not a positive event. I continue to hear issue with MagicJack mysteriously charging people, this is not good if true.
- Your Computer should have USB 2.0 capabilities, some old computers are USB 1.x and this may not work at all , or at best, slowly.
- If the power is out your likely out of phone service, unless you have your computer, and Internet connection on Un-Interuptable Power Supply (UPS).
- If your Computer dies, so does your phone service and to get it up running again will require
you to get a new PC. That's a bit more than 19.95 folks.
- I think that as more and more of these units get sold the call quality will suffer. There needs to be some back end infrastructure at Magic Jack to make all this run correctly and at their current adoption rate , capacity is sure to be an issue.
- I wonder what happens if they decide to raise the rates. I think you will have no choice but
to pay them the rate change. Unless you want to go back the phone company.
- The Phone companies are going to start offering similar services soon , i have read about some in the planning from Verizon and others. So soon the "big boys" are coming to play in this sandbox.
If you want a Cheap Phone and calling and do not mind having you computer on all the time and no guaranteed call quality and the TOS does not scare you then Magic Jack is likely for you and there are huge numbers of you out there.
If you want phone company type of reliability, quality and service.. the choice is yours. I'd evaluate and make a decision.
Personally I'm starting to be a Magic Jack person, I'd rather do it myself and have the control I desire but this is a pretty cool device so I've done both.
But i have to admit this is a tempting and likely very good solution for a lot of folks, I just hope the sudden growth does not bring the service quality down.
In the end this seems like a good cheap phone service for most people but it's not perfect, then again most things are not.
Folks I have noticed that even though I swear I told the MagicJack folks not to auto-renew my account it seems that it was turned on to auto renew. I suggest that if you want this feature off you log into your account and verify that it is off. it's located under the "MY ACCOUNT" tab and shows as "RENEWAL" for me.
"MagicJack still works great for me.. I have even expanded to faxing.. seems if I set the fax to 2400 baud it works OK for sending out. I have not tried it for incoming faxes yet.
I have not yet figured out how to stop the ads and make the software work, I'm sure someone has hacked this but my theory is that unless it's painfully easy I'm not going to try it. The comments are great and even the questions. Thx
MagicJack Fax and Misc Update:
I've never got MagicJack and fax to work quite right, I wonder if anyone has on a reliable basis. The fax working is really hit or miss for me and it's a bit too bad because I'd love to be able to have a reliable outgoing fax line. I can use efax for incoming, it's the outgoing fax that I'd like to get functioning. I'm still working on combinations that may prove to be more reliable and I'll update this page if and when I find that combination. Until the next update it's still a great way to save costs on phone service. I still wish the interface was better but hey, it's a great cheap phone line.
Magic Jack Plus Arrives:
Magic Jack Plus appears to be a pretty good new product. I've looked at this in a bit more detail and the fact that it does not require q computer to work is nice but I'm still do not have a solid opinion on that yet.
Magic Jack Links
- MagicJack VOIP Service Review - ""Magic Jack - Product has some issues!"" - Viewpoints
MagicJack VOIP Service. See consumer reviews, ratings, and advice on the MagicJack VOIP Service. Consumers say 'Magic Jack - Product has some issues!'. Read reviews of thousands of other products too.
- Official magicJack Site
magicJack.com - Never pay a monthly phone bill again! Free local and long distance calling in the USA and Canada. 100% Risk Free 30 Day Trial. No Contract, No Obligation.
More by this Author
A product review of the Uniden Dect 6.0 phone. This gives you the pro's and con's of the phone from a longtime users point of view
Build Your Own Cheap VOIP Phone Connection. It's easy give it a try
Discount Warehouse Shopping Comparison - Costco versus BJ's versus Sam's Club. My opinon and cut on what I like and dislike.