Michigan Optimism and Jobs to 2020 - Things You Didn't Know
- The name Michigan is derived from the Indian words "Michi-gama" meaning large lake. The local Ojibway (called Chippewa in the USA) group's history includes naming the island that began the formation of the Earth as "Mishee Mackinakong" or The Place of the Great Turtle.
- The State Nickname is the "Great Lake State". It is partially surrounded by Lakes Michigan and Huron. Great Lake State is also a TV series begun by my acquaintance Sean H. Robertson in Detroit in 2011, without tax credits that the Governor eliminated. Sean played on Detroit 1-8-7 and is now a director and producer.
- Other Nicknames: "Wolverine State" and "Water Winter Wonderland".
- The State Motto is Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice (If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you).
- Michigan was admitted to the Union in 1837 as the 26th state.
- 57,022 sq. mi. of land area
- 1,194 sq. mi. of inland waters
- 38,575 sq. mi. of Great Lake water area
- 3,126 miles of Great Lakes shoreline (more fresh water coastline than any other state). A Great Lakes Circle Tour takes motorists around the perimeters of each of these lakes.
- 19,000,000 acres of forested lands.
- A large Native American settlement operates Soaring Eagle Resort and Hotel in Mt. Pleasant in Mid-Michigan.
- The State Capitol is Lansing (chosen 1879). This city is home to the Lansing Lug Nuts baseball team and stadium and many museums, including automotive museums. The Potter Park Zoo is not far from the Capitol Building and includes part of the local river. Bus service is excellent and a railroad station carries passengers to East Lansing near the university. Bike-hike trails are great and plenty of shopping is available.
- The largest city is Detroit.
- Michigan is the only state that touches four of the five Great Lakes.
- Michigan also has over 11,000 inland lakes and 36,000 miles of streams.
Pilot: Great Lake State
Michigan received $200 Million to help build Hi-Speed Rail from Detroit to Chicago
Top 10 Michigan Job Cities
As of August 2014, the State of Michigan's employers advertised over 194,000 job openings all at once.
Leading cities for job listings are:
- Detroit - Over 30% more job listings than found in Grand Rapids
- Grand Rapids
- Ann Arbor
- Lansing - the State Capital.
- Auburn Hills
The top 4 cities in this list have remained in the top 4 throughout the 2000s and 2010s, but changed within the top 4 themselves. However, Detroit has remained Number One for job listings.
Most Jobs Posted - Along the I-96 and I-94 Corridor
Significant Jobs Increase during 2013 - 2014
Job Listings Increased June though September 2012 to 128,000
Michigan Travel and Tourism Attract People and Jobs
- Best Island Travel in Michigan - Mackinac Island, Somewhere In Time
Downtown Business District. The island is all-pedestrian with these taxis variable. Riding the high-speed ferry back to the mainland after visiting Mackinac Island in August is like being above the Arctic Circle in that at 10:15 pm, the sun is still.
- Work In Incredible Lansing, Michigan
Lansing and East Lansing have become one of my favorite travel destinations. If I were looking for historic or cultural attractions, sports, work, or a great university, I'd move here.
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Grand Rapids, Michigan
The Grand Rapids-Muskegon-Holland labor market area, defined by MichiganWorks! is home to 1,330,000+ people as of the end of 2007 and offers increasing numbers of jobs in Healthcare, Food Service, Sales, Buiness Services, and ...
Aerospace Jobs in Grand Rapids
- Best Attractions To See In Detroit, Michigan
Many of the hundreds of historical, cultural, entertainment and other attractions in Detroit, Michigan are located on or near Woodward Avenue. Home of many
- Best Farm Markets and U-Pick Fruits and Vegetables A...
A large central market enlivens Detroit every week, accolmpanied by smaller open-air markets every day and a successful Urban Farm with its own market. Detroit is filled with farm markets & U-Picks.
- Detroit Institute of Arts Museum: National Historic ...
The DIA nearly lost its 100 art collections to settle the bankruptcy of the City of Detroit. Fortunately, that plan was found unconstitutional by the courts. It's still one of the largest collections.
- Great Restaurants and The Arts In Detroit
A sense of freedom has imbued downcast areas of Detroit, moving people to cut grass in parks, create films & art, plant crops, and provide fine dining in pop up restaurant in art galleries. Stunning!
High Demand Jobs 2012 - 2016
- Class A CDL Owner Operator Truck Drivers
- Registered Nurses (RNs)
- Assistant Store Managers
- Store Managers
- Customer Service Representatives/Cashiers
- Quality Engineers
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Product Engineers
- Controls Engineers
- Software Engineers
- Electrical Engineers
- Mechanical Engineers
- Event Specialists
- Photo Lab Technicians
- Tire Technicians
- Business Analysts
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Sales Representatives
Michigan Works! Programs
Jobs for Michigan Graduates
- Top 10 Hot Jobs in Michigan for College Graduates
New industry sectors that have bloomed in Michigan include: Movie Making, Advanced-Batteries, and others...
Statewide Michigan - Michigan Works! Job Placement
Michigan Job Trends to 2020
Watch this Box for Regular Updates:
Internet Job Postings for Michigan
- SimplyHired.com and Indeed.com gather more job postings than other major Internet Job Search Engines and include private employers and recruiters.
Top Hiring Employers
- Swift Transportation
- Watkins-Shepard Trucking
- Ameriplan Health Insurance Sales
- General Motors
- STI Trucking
- W3R Consulting - Health and Health-IT jobs
- Henry Ford Health System
- Covenant Healthcare
- RGBSI Com
- Deloitte Development
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
- CGI Group
- Various Retail Stores
Industries Expected to Hire Most Employees in the Future
- Healthcare Support - 24.7% increase in jobs.
- Healthcare Practitioners and Techs - 17.2% increase.
- Computer and Mathematical - 13.9
- Personal Care and Service - 12.1
- Life, Physical, and Social Science - 12.1%
- Community and Social Services - 12.1%
- Business and Financial Operations - 11.7%
- Arts / Design / Entertain / Sports / Media - 7.8%
Expected to Increase by about 7.0%:
- Architecture and Engineering
- Education / Training / Library
- Food Preparation and Serving
Job Search by Region in Michigan State
From 2009 - 2014, new jobs planned for Michigan began to emerge under the ARRA Stimulus Package signed by US President Barack Obama. Job listings increased in number overall for Michigan during these years.
For city and regional reviews and recommendations for new jobs and emerging industries across Michigan, visit the link at:
For Michigan Jobs Offices and job search/training programs, visit the interactive map at:
For Sustainability jobs, current and growing for the future, see:
Selected Michigan PhotosClick thumbnail to view full-size
Michigan's Largest Employers
- University Of Michigan - Ann Arbor
- Rehabilitation Institute Of Michigan - Detroit
- William Beaumont Hospital - Royal Oak
- General Motors Technical Center - Warren
- Detroit Receiving Hospital - Detroit
- Spectrum Health Rehab & Sports - Grand Rapids
- Spectrum Health-Blodgett - Grand Rapids
- Devos Children's Hospital - Grand Rapids
- Henry Ford Health System - Detroit
- Chrysler LLC - Auburn Hills
- Oakwood Hospital & Medical Center - Dearborn
- Oakwood Southshore Medical Center - Trenton
- Michigan State University - East Lansing
- Wayne State University - Detroit
- Delphi Steering - Saginaw
- Henry Ford Health System - Detroit
- Cadence Innovation - Troy
- Pfizer Inc – Ann Arbor campus purchased by U of M
- Sparrow Health System - Lansing
- Sparrow Hospital - Lansing
Top 25 Jobs Expected by Percent of Growth
These are the forecasted Top 25 Jobs in Michigan that will experience the highest rate of growth. Many pay very well
- Network Systems/Data Communications Analysts
- Personal & Home Health Aides
- Computer Software Applications Engineers
- Medical Assistants
- Marriage and Family Therapists
- Physical Therapist Assistants
- Forensic science technicians
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Gaming Supervisors
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Biomedical Engineers
- Substance Abuse Counselors
- Medical Equipment & Repair
- Skin Care Specialists - Medical.
- Gaming Mgrs
- Cardiovascular Techs
- Physical Therapists
- Physical Therapy Aides
- Customer Service Representatives
- Environmental Science, Health & Protection Techs
- Database Administrators - IT
- Gaming Dealers
- Dental Hygienists
- Gaming/Sports book writers & runners - Betting & gaming.
- Nonfarm Animal Care jobs - pets, zoos, helper animals, other.
Jobs with Moderate or Heavy On-The-Job Training (OJT)
Job Title and Average Hourly Wage through 2020:
These are the fastest growing jobs in the OJT category. They do not require training after high school.
- Customer Service Reps $15.53
- Truck Drivers, Semis Tractor-Trailer $18+
- Sales Reps, Whlsl/Mfg $29
- Medical Assistants $13
- General Maintenance/Repair Workers $18
- Carpenters $20
- Restaurant Cooks $10
- Dental Assistants 2,470 15.51
- Executive Secretaries, Admin Assistants $19
- Police, Sheriff’s Patrol Officers $23+
- Sales Reps, Whlsl/Mfg, Tech/Scientific $36
- Pharmacy Technicians $13
- Heating/AC/ HVAC $22
- Social/Human Service Assistants $14
- Electricians $27
- Bookkeeping/Accounting/Auditing Clerks $15.50
- Plumbers, Pipefitters, Steamfitters $25
- Musicians and Singers $22.59 - The film industry is spreading in Michigan and casinos need entertainers.
- Painters, Construction, Maintenance $19
- Claims Adjusters and related $27
- Brick and Block Masons $23+
- Operating Engineer/Other Equip $22
- Firefighters $19
- Construction Laborers $16
- Payroll & Timekeeping Clerks $16
Jobs Requiring AA Degrees, Tech Training, or Experience
Occupation and Average Hourly Wage through 2020
- Registered Nurses (RNs) $28.70 - Healthcare
- Nursing Aides, Orderlies, Attendants $12 - Healthcare
- First-Line Supervisors & Mgrs in Food Service $14+
- Hairstylists & Cosmetologists $11 plus tips
- Automotive Service Techs & Mechanics $20
- Computer Support Specialists $21
- First-Line Supervisors & Mgrs in Retail $19
- First-Line Supervisors & Mgrs in Construction $31
- Dental Hygienists $28
- Mainstream Preschool Teachers $15+
- First-Line Supervisors & Mgrs in Offices $23+
- Licensed Practical and Vocational Nurses $19
- Self-Enrichment Teachers $17+
- Fitness Trainers $12
- First-Line Supervisors and Mgrs in Main & Repair $29
- Food Service Managers $21
- Medical Records Technicians $150
- Radiologic Techs $22
- First-Line Supervisors and Mgrs in Housekeeping & Janitorial $17
- Cost Estimators – as in construction projects. $30
- First-Line Supervisors and Mgrs in Non-Retail Sales $37
- First-Line Supervisors and Mgrs in Personal Services $17+
- Purchasing Agents $28.55
- Legal Secretaries $18
- First-Line Supervisors & Mgrs in Transportation $26
Career Colleges in Michigan
- Baker College - Many sites in Michigan
- Dorsey Schools - Madison Heights, Roseville, Southgate, Wayne-Westland. Computers, Legal, Medical, Healthcare, Administrative Assistant.
- Everest College - Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo. Dental Assisting, Massage Therapy, Medical Techs and Admin, Pharmacy Technician.
- Everest Institute - Dearborn, Detroit, Southfield. Business, Accounting, Criminal Justice, Medical.
- ITT - several locations.
- International Academy of Design and Technology - Detroit. Fashion Design, Interior Design, Visual Communications
- Kaplan - Dearborn and Detroit.
- Kuyper College: Ministry - Focused Christian Leadership
- Ross Medical Education Center - Medical Assistant.
- College for Creative Studies - Detroit
- Detroit Business Institute - Detroit
- Ecumenical Theological Seminary - Detroit
- Focus-Hope Information Technologies Center - Detroit
- L'esprit Academy - Livonia
- Michigan Barber School Inc. - Detroit
- Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology - Canton
- P&A Scholars Beauty School - Detroit
- Regency Beauty Institute - Southgate
- Sacred Heart Major Seminary - Detroit
- Sanford-Brown College - Dearborn
- Stautzenberger Institute - Allen Park
- Taylortown School of Beauty Inc. - Taylor
- Lansing Community College
- Lawrence Technological University: Southfield
- Macomb Community College: Warren
- Madonna University: Livonia, Orchard Lake, Gaylord, Detroit
- Marygrove College: Detroit
- Michigan State University: East Lansing
- Michigan Technological University: Houghton
- Michigan Theological Seminary: Plymouth
- Mid-Michigan Community College: Harrison, Mt Pleasant
- Monroe County Community College
- Montcalm Community College: Sidney
- Mott Community College: Flint
- Muskegon Community College
- North Central Michigan College: Petoskey
- Northern Michigan University: Marquette
- Northwestern Michigan College: Traverse City, Cadillac
- Northwood University, De Vos Graduate School: Midland
- Oakland Community College: various sites around Michigan.
- Oakland University: Rochester
- Olivet College
- Rochester College
- Saginaw Valley State University
- Schoolcraft College: Livonia
- Siena Heights University: Many campus locations in the state.
- Southwestern Michigan College: Dowagiac, Niles
- Spring Arbor University
- St. Clair County Community College: Port Huron
- University of Detroit Mercy
- University of Michigan System, Main Campus: Ann Arbor, Dearborn, Flint
- Walsh College: Oakland County
- Washtenaw Community College: Ann Arbor
- Wayne County Community College: Detroit, Taylor, Belleville
- Wayne State University: Detroit
- West Shore Community College: Scottville
- Western Michigan University: Kalamazoo
Colleges and Universities
- Adrian College
- Albion College
- Alma College
- Alpena Community College
- Andrews University: Berrien Springs
- Aquinas College: Grand Rapids
- Ave Maria College: Ypsilanti
- Ave Maria School of Law: Ann Arbor
- Bay College: Escanaba
- Bay Mills Community College: Brimley
- Calvin College: Grand Rapids
- Central Michigan University: Mount Pleasant
- Cleary University: Ann Arbor, Howell
- Concordia University: Ann Arbor
- Davenport University: Bay City, Flint and several other locales
- Delta College: Bay City University Center
- Eastern Michigan University: Ypsilanti
- Ferris State University: Big Rapids, Grand Rapids
- Finlandia University (formerly Suomi College): Hancock, Houghton
- Gogebic Community College: Ironwood
- Grace Bible College: Grand Rapids
- Grand Rapids Community College
- Grand Valley State University: Allendale
- Henry Ford Community College: Dearborn
- Hillsdale College
- Hope College: Holland
- Jackson Community College: Jackson, Adrian, Hillsdale
- Kalamazoo College
- Kalamazoo Valley Community College
- Kellogg Community College: Battle Creek
- Kendall College of Art and Design: Grand Rapids
- Kettering University: Flint
- Kirtland Community College: Roscommon
- Lake Michigan College: Benton Harbor, Niles
- Lake Superior State University: Sault Ste. Marie
More by this Author
Sir Arthur C. Clarke invented the best notion of a workable solar sail as "Sunjammer" in his 1963 short story. In 2013, NASA built Sunjammer in the 50th Anniversary year of his notion.
What a wonderful time to be alive and witness the advance of unmanned drones for Search & Rescue and various deliveries. They need remote pilots as well, so - more jobs for us!
After much hard work in writing countless resumes, cover letters, and job applications, employment candidates hope to interview well, impress the hiring officer, and secure the job. We can help with the information in...