Using Microsoft Office Publisher
What is Microsoft Publisher?
Microsoft Publisher is a desktop publishing software (like adobe Page Maker), that enables you to design and publish professional printed works. For instance, using it you can be able to come up with greeting cards, wedding cards, brochures, business cards, company logos, calendars and many more.
You do not have to buy the Microsoft Office Publisher separately as it comes embedded with the other Microsoft Office programs.
How to Open MS Publisher
Follow these steps to open Microsoft Office Publisher.
- Click on start
- Click on all programs
- Select Microsoft word
- Locate Microsoft Office Publisher and click on it. The start up page appears.
MS Publisher Window
Publisher gives the following four options. To create:
- Publications for print
- Websites and E-mails
- Design sets
- Blank publications
When your publisher page opens, you have three choices; to create,
- New publication from a design
- Create a new blank print publication, blank web page, from existing publication
- Or open a recent publication.
The MS Publisher Templates
Working With a New Publications for Print From a Design Template
This is one of the easiest methods to come up with a quick publication. Select publications for print and then under the categories, select the one you want. For instance, if you want to design a business card, select the category of business cards. You will get a subcategory where you will select the paper type you want to use, this comprises of either plain paper or special paper.
Clicking on either, you will get a list of various templates of different kinds of business card designs all available for you to choose and customize. After selecting the design template you want to use, a dialog box appears which you will use to customize your card. The dialog box will help you fill personal information that will appear on your card. Alternatively, you can enter this information directly to your card. So instead of using this dialog box, you close it.
Then, you can be able to edit the information by replacing it with your own details. At this juncture, if you don’t like the card design you had selected, you can change by picking another design from the publication designs task pane on your right left side.
MS Publisher Tools
Microsoft Publisher Window
The Microsoft publisher window is much similar with that of Microsoft word; this is in respect to title bar, menu bar, standard toolbar and formatting toolbar.
Working With a Blank Publication
Go to file > new > then under the new from a design, select blank print publication. You will be provided with a blank working area. To create a publication, you will be required to use available tools found on the objects toolbar. If it is missing on your main window go to view > toolbars > objects.
- Select objects – for selecting, picking and dragging objects
- Text box – use this for typing text
- Insert table – use this tool for inserting table into your work
- Insert wordart – for inserting word arts
- Picture frame – for inserting pictures from clipart, file, scanner or camera
- Line tool – for drawing a line.
- Arrow – for drawing arrows.
- Oval – for drawing ovals and circles. Note, to draw a perfect circle, hold the shift key before dragging.
- Rectangular tool - for drawing rectangles and squares
- Auto shapes – this contains a list of different types of auto shapes available.
Saving Your Publication
By default, Publisher saves a file in a default working folder usual my Documents folder. You are free to specify a different location.
Click the File tab, and then click Save.
If you are saving a file for the first time, do the following:
Click on file Save As to open the Save As dialog box, in the File name box type a name for your publication.
- Select the location and or the folder you want to save in.
- Click Save.
Printing Your Publication
Once you are done with your design, you might think of printing your artwork. This is the procedure to follow:-
- Click the File tab, and then click on Print.
- In the Print section, enter the number of copies to print in Copies of print job box or leave it as it is if you are printing just one document.
- In the Printer section, make sure that the correct printer that you want to use is selected.
Note that the properties for your default printer will automatically appear.
In the Settings section, do the following:
Make sure that the correct range of pages or sections you want to print is selected.
Select the format for imposing your pages on the sheet.
Set the paper size.
Set whether to print on one side of the sheet or paper or both.
If your printer is capable of color printing, choose if you want to print color or gray scale.
Click the Print button when you are ready to print.
For those who are used to both Adobe Pagemaker and Publisher, which one do you prefer?See results without voting
© 2012 Patrick Kamau
More by this Author
The view menu is important when working with Microsoft Office Word 2003. It contains commands that are used when editing and formatting word documents. This tutorial is specifically designed for you.
This tutorial will teach you how to use the file menu found in Microsoft Word 2003. It is important to familiarize with the file menu so that you can be able to work with Ms Word comfortably.
A bus is a common pathway through which information is transmitted from one component to another. This pathway is used for communication and can be established between two or more computer components