Nikon Coolpix S1000pj review : 12.1MP Digital Camera with Built-in Projector (now at a low price!)
Nikon S1000pj review
Nikon Coolpix S1000pj Digital Camera with Built-in Projector
It is a world first. The manufacturer Nikon has managed to integrate a projector in a compact camera. This is the first device of its kind. No need to be connected to a computer or have specific equipment, the Nikon Coolpix S1000pj compact digital camera can project the images taken on a wall or a screen to the delight of all.
This compact digital camera is available in onyx black or platinum. The Nikon Coolpix S1000pj comes with a recharging battery, wrist strap, USB cable, Audio Video cable and a remote control for viewing photos.
The back of the S1000pj leaves ample room for the color LCD screen that measures 2.7 inches (6.9 cm) and displays 230 000 pixels. It is anti-glare treated. Like most devices from this brand, the model is very well done and gives an impression of solidity. The grip is quite good and the thumb of the right hand comes naturally positioned in the upper right corner. The objective of the Nikon Coolpix S1000pj being placed at the far right of the facade, you just need to be a little careful not to have a finger in front of it.
Before going into details, note that the Nikon S1000pj incorporates many features of the Nikon Coolpix S70 model with its 12.1 megapixels sensor, the zoom and some of its mechanics.
- Power up is very fast.
- The anti-glare screen is effective even when exposed to direct sunlight.
- The menus are simple and succinct. They may appear as text or icons (useful for novices).
- The shutter lag is negligeable, which is not the case with all compact digital cameras. After a slight reaction time, the optical zoom (5x) is fast enough. As for the digital zoom, it is 4x but its use should be avoided, as is generally the case with this type of compact device.
- The quality of the sensor is correct; the device can achieve a sensitivity of 1600 ISO at full resolution.The flash is automatically activated when needed.
- Smile detection is provided. It is quite effective. Similarly, it is possible to tell the camera to follow a subject. This function gives correct rendering. A method of image editing is also included. It improves an image which was taken in poor conditions; in fact the camera saves a copy of the original image and changes some settings to make it clearer and radiant.
- The Nikon Coolpix S1000pj can record video with sound.
- It allows approximately 200 shots with fully charged battery. It's okay but nothing more. Autonomy goes down a little, but not as much as I would have imagined, when using the video projection system.
The S1000pj projector: is it useful or is it just a gadget?
Without doubt, having a video projector built into a camera is a real plus. Indeed, you can immediately share the pictures you have taken with all the people who are around you without causing a stampede.
But it must be known that the Nikon S1000pj has a projector lamp with an image brightness of 10 Lumens, for an image size up to a maximum of 3 feet wide from a projection distance of 6 feet. Its contrast ratio is 30:1. It is therefore far from the dedicated video projection systems that reach from 1600 to 2000 Lumens and much higher contrast ratios. Even pocket projectors such as the LG HS200 and the Acer K10 offer brightness of respectively 100 and 200 Lumens.
Thus, to properly view the images projected by the Nikon S1000pj you must be in a dark room. In a room normally lit by artificial or natural light, the result is almost not visible.
The definition of the images projected is not great either and may despair some people: the camera projects at VGA resolution (640 × 480 pixels). The details are ultimately not very visible.
That said, the fact of projecting an image onto a wall (or screen) entertains children immediately and friends seem to appreciate the speed at which the images can be shared, even if the images would be of far better quality on a computer monitor or television. But then, setting up the monitor or tv and gathering people around it would lose the spontaneity.
Viewing the images can be done frame by frame by directly manipulating the camera, or using the remote that comes with it. Note that it is also possible to watch videos with sound (the device being equipped with speakers).
Nikon Coolpix S1000pj and related products
Update: Inside the Nikon S1000pj
Nikon released "blueprints" of the inside of the camera, so you can see how they were able to pack the projector into such a small space.
You liked this hub? Please rate it!
More by this Author
Gmail vs Skype - Gmail rates vs Skype rates : A Comparison - Extensive list of international calling rates both for Skype and the Gmail / Google Voice VoIP services.
friv.com: Friv Games - www.friv.com is a site where you can play free online games. I asked my two sons, Jacob (9 years old) and David (12 years old) to share their thoughts about Friv.