Olympus PEN E-P1
The PEN E-P1
The Olympus PEN E-P1 digital camera doesn't have to make any apologies for being petite; it’s a full fledged camera on its own merit. It marks an innovative new era in digital photography. It is in the tradition of the PEN family of cameras and has the optics of a single lens reflex camera, together with the small size and simple operation which is virtually point and shoot. The still image quality is very high and positively comparable with a digital single lens reflex camera. In addition the Olympus E-P1 has the A/V quality of a high definition camcorder and high end audio recorder. The cutting-edge video function not only allows the application of Art Filters, but it also includes the ability to vary depth of field, angle of view, and auto focus during recording. The high tech stylish body with its many advanced features will ensure you many creative excursions as you share your life with family and friends.
The E-P1 comes with a lens of 12.3 mega pixels. It has an interchangeable lens system so I shall be upgrading from my 42mm f/3.5-5.6, lens to something with more quality. However the sharpness of the pictures taken with my lens was quite staggering. The auto focus is excellent but not quite as fast as some other cameras I have used. But it shouldn’t be a problem unless you are a professional photographer.
Comparison with a DSLR Camera
The sharpness from this camera is well beyond what most would expect, so there may be something in the talk that Olympus removed the strong anti-alias filtering most DSLR's are plagued with. The results thus far haven't required any post process sharpening and the Olympus colour engine is excellent.
If you are coming from a DSLR camera you may need some time to get used to the differences. As will getting used to the Live View display feature. One superb feature is that the controls can be tweaked while shooting with one hand. The buttons are all customizable and the manual is quite easy to follow although you should expect several hours of bedtime reading to get to know the advanced features. All in all Olympus have designed a very usable system.
The Olympus E-P1 is a practical camera and its size and flexibility makes it possible to shoot where larger cameras can’t go. It’s a fun camera, easy to use, and you get really nice high quality digital photographs as well as good quality video. However, if you are looking for a camera that excels at very high ISO’s then this camera is not for you. A Nikon D700 it is not.
Some Mouth Watering Features
- Two frames can be combined, and portions of one can be combined with those of another in any of the shooting modes.
- A series of six built-in Art Filters for replicating countless striking and dramatic effects can be easily activated for both still and video imaging.
- The camera’s In-body Image Stabilization system compensates for up to 4 shutter speed steps with any of the system’s interchangeable lenses.
- Mechanical Image Stabilization automatically compensates for camera shake in low-light situations or when using a telephoto lens.
- The e-Portrait mode is also useful for smoothing out the facial features of your subjects, which is a tremendous plus for High Definition playback.
- A Face Detection function reduces the chance of blurry faces when shooting groups of people, up to eight subjects at once, even if they’re moving while you’re pressing the shutter button.
- Full manual control for all programs and functions, including Aperture and Shutter Speed Priority, is at your fingertips whenever it is needed or preferred. Full automatic control is also a button-press away.
More by this Author
Nokia 3G Phones - product review on the Nokia 3109 black, the Nokia N85 and the Nokia N96.
The Kindle 3 and the Nook each have their own advantages. I like the nook's user-replaceable battery, compatibility with ePub format, and in-store experience. But overall I would strongly recommend the Kindle 3 because...
Alhambra is set on an escarpment above the city of Granada in southern Spain just beneath the foothills of the beautiful and majestic Sierra Nevada.