RFM Reduced Functionality Mode 0xC004F009
Just what is RFM
What could go wrong on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, sitting and relaxing at home, checking email and facebook? Try this: “Your activation period has expired” For those who are not familiar, this is a Windows message, apparently against piracy. As researched, it is one anti-piracy solution that Microsoft has come up and is included on Vista.
When this message appears, it is highly possible that Windows will enter RFM mode (Reduced Functionality Mode). This mode limits the activities and usage of Windows. It also appears that there are two types of RFM mode. These are Out-of-grace reduced functionality mode and Non-genuine reduced functionality mode.
0xC004F009 error code
Further research showed that on a retail copy of Windows Vista, Out-of-grace reduced functionality mode will occur when Windows Vista is not activated within 30 days after installation or if it is not reactivated within three days after replacing a major hardware component on the computer.
As for Non-genuine reduced functionality mode, this will occur if:
- The WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) program identifies a blocked or counterfeit product key.
- The WGA program spots incorrect or modified binary files activation.
0xC004F009: What can I use and what are disabled?
When any of the two modes are activated, the following activities are halted or limited:
- Built-in games
- Premium features (Aero Glass, ReadyBoost, and BitLocker)
- Unable to obtain some content from Microsoft
On the other hand, the following options are still available when running in RFM mode:
- Activate Windows Vista
- Remotely script Windows Vista through Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) to run scripts on the computer from a remote location.
- Change the product key
- Run Windows Vista in safe mode
Solution for 0xC004F009...at last
Now that we have seen the possible causes, and what activities are off and on during RFM mode, here are some steps to get out of reduced functionality mode:
- Enter the product key which is located on the Windows CD sleeve / case. If Windows was preinstalled, the product key usually appears on a sticker on the case of the computer.
- Using the automated telephone system for Vista activation.
- Contact Microsoft if there are significant hardware changes on the computer.
More by this Author
Samsung Galaxy Y is a great low-end budget phone. However, a lot of product limitations exist as well as reported problems and disadvantages by some Samsung Galaxy Y owners. This post is all about the disadvantages,...
Great News! Globe now allows its prepaid subscribers to be able to choose their very own number when buying a new SIM card
This post will discuss the steps on how to withdraw Paypal funds to BPI (Bank of the Philippines Island) complete with step by step pictures - plus other important information