Rooting Samsung Galaxy S 3G (Telus)
Rooting Samsung Galaxy S
This guide details rooting procedure for the following device model:
Model: Samsung Galaxy S 3G (Fascinate)
Firmware: 2.2 or 2.3
- Download SuperOneClick from http://shortfuse.org
- Ensure ADB is properly configured. Device drivers installed accordingly.
- Enable USB Debugging in Settings/Development path
- Connect device. Click 'Root'
- Follow instructions on screen if prompted to. Once complete device will be rooted. Upon restart Super User will be in app drawer.
Note: In order to root 2.3 you must flash to a lag fixed kernel based on galaxy I9000 international. Once rooted you would be flashing back to stock kernel if you wish to remain on full stock firmware. Otherwise remain on custom kernel for the added benefit of lag fix and custom rom support.
You will need the following three files:
- Samsung Galaxy S SpeedMod Kernel
- Stock Gingerbread Kernel
- Odin - Samsung Galaxy S (Flashing utility)
- Search Google and http://xda-developers.com for files.
- In Odin deselect both 'auto-reboot' and 're-partition'
- Put device in Flash Mode/Download Mode:
- Power Off device
- Hold 'Volume Down' key
- Power on device. Release power, hold volume down, simultaneously insert USB cable
- Odin will recognize device.
- Ensure PDA path in flashing utility is set to Speedmod Kernel
- Select Flash
- Once complete boot device into recovery
- Power Off device
- Hold 'Volume Up' 'Volume Down' and 'Power'
- Once in recovery menu select 'Advanced Options'
- Select 'Root your device'
- Now flash back to stock kernel if desired
If flashing back to stock gingerbread kernel put phone back into Download Mode. Reconnect. Initiate Odin. Select PDA path as stock kernel. Flash as per above instructions.
Phone rooting procedure is now complete.
More by this Author
This article details the unlock and jailbreak procedure for an IPhone 2G running firmware version 3.1.3. This enables Cydia, provides capability to configure "Installous", and unlocks the device for use with...
This article is a guide to unlocking 'Old Security' Blackberry devices from within Windows. This method is compatible specifically with old security units. Will not work with any 'New Security' models. Consult the...
This procedural article will detail how to debrand and flash a Motrola Razr V3. The benefits to debranding include removing all carrier customizations and restrictions aswell as added enhancements and improved...
No comments yet.