Samsung Galaxy i7500 Android Rooting Bell Canada
How to root Samsung Galaxy i7500
The following guide documents the process of rooting a Samsung Galaxy i7500.
Model: Samsung Galaxy i7500
Carrier: Bell Canada
- Galaxy i7500L only
Consider the following:
It is important to note that intense modifications such as those mentioned herein would potentially impact warranty. As none of the outlined methods are endorsed or recommended by the manufacturer and are sought for the purposes of customization and solely at the discretion and responsibility of the end user.
This document provides instructions for i7500L users. Specifically operating on Bell Canada.
Rooting an android device is much similar to that of jail breaking an IPhone. The IPhone employs Cydia in order to open the source code of the device. Where in repositories can be altered or maintained as per the users preference. Android devices are already open in terms of source code.
When you root your device you are gaining the administrative privilege required in order to run your device as the system administrator. This can be compared to the result of jailbreaking. Rooting is the equivalent to being a limited user on Windows XP. And modifying your account settings to grant your account administrative rights. Admin in Windows. Root in Linux. It is also important to stress that running in root mode does escalate privileges. Being in a high level access state constantly may be harmful to the system and its settings.
Rooting can be helpful in many situations where modifications, such as flashing custom firmware, are desired. Access to certain specialized apps may require root enabled as well.
Note: An application named "Easy Root" can be used to circumvent the process of rooting. The idea is a simplified one touch approach to rooting. Please refer to google for details.
The process described within the article is a more in depth examination of the rooting procedure. The above quoted application is recommended for those looking for a less technical resolution. Please understand any attempts at modifying or customizing firmware files either on the operating system or the platform can be problematic and are done so at ones own risk.
Refer to Links section for inclusions
1) Download Samsung New PC Studio
2) Download and install Android SDK files
In order to mod Android you must have Android Debug Bridge configured accordingly. ADB files included in the Android Software Development Kit (SDK). Ensure SDK is installed to C drive.
- Navigate to My Computer > Properties > Advanced > Environment Variables
- Under 'System Variables' find 'Path' and select Edit. Add the code below to the end of the existing value
- Search and install ADB Drivers package for galaxy i7500. Reference the SDK installation folder as ADB driver files should also be extracted to bin directory.
USB SETUP: Drivers
- SDK USB drivers can be installed directly from inside SDK manager under available packages > Third party application settings
- Install the additional options listed under third party application settings.
- Ensure drivers are configured and installed properly and Device Manager is listing ADB Interface recognized
- If your driver package is in EXE format and you need to extract an .inf file use an Unzip utility to unpack the files and access appropriate .INF files contained inside the installation package.
Procedure: Rooting Continued
To test ADB setup. Connect your device and run Command Prompt. Type in 'adb devices' and a result should display your device serial number. Along with a status message reading 'List of devices attached' If any other result is returned check your setup.
Ensure ADB is set up properly. In order to advance forward ADB/SDK must be operational.
Enable USB Debug: settings>applications>development>USB debugging.
If experiencing issues with ADB setup do the following:
- Open 'Device Manager'
- Look under Other Devices>Unknown Device
- Select 'Update Driver Software'
- Now Browse and manually select the file titled 'android_usb.inf' from your USB Drivers installation folder
- Make sure you select the file appropriate for your bit version of Windows
3) Download latest recovery package from http://www.drakaz.com/download/
4) Unzip the file to your SDK tools directory
5) Copy the file named 'RECTOOLS.tar.gz' raw to the internal storage on your device. (internal sd)
6) Open Command Prompt. Navigate to SDK tools folder. 'cd C:\Android-SDK-WINDOWS\Tools'
7) Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
8) When you see 'Waiting for Device' display. Power down and reconnect your device while you are powered down. Then promptly hold Power, Send, and OK and wait for Fastboot Mode to display. Wait for device to reboot as normal.
9) Power down device and hold the following sequence of keys. Send, Power, Volume Down in order to boot into recovery menu
10) From within this menu select Enable SU (Enable Root). Click Reboot System.
Upon initializing device will be in root status with super user permissions.
More by this Author
This article is a guide to unlocking 'Old Security' Blackberry devices from within Windows. This method is compatible specifically with old security units. Will not work with any 'New Security' models. Consult the...
This article details the unlock and jailbreak procedure for an IPhone 2G running firmware version 3.1.3. This enables Cydia, provides capability to configure "Installous", and unlocks the device for use with...
This procedural article will detail how to debrand and flash a Motrola Razr V3. The benefits to debranding include removing all carrier customizations and restrictions aswell as added enhancements and improved...
No comments yet.