How to Sell Your Mobile Phone on eBay
Take Pictures of Your Phone before you list it
It's Easy to Sell Your Old Phone
I have a few old smart phones that I no longer use and I want to sell them. I've done this in the past and it's a good way to supplement the cost of upgrading to a new phone. I seem to upgrade or change to the best cell phone I can get frequently, so getting some money for my old phone is nice.
I thought it might be helpful to explain how I sell my old cell phones.
I Sell My Old Phones on eBay
To sell my phone on eBay, I go through a few steps. Here they are.
- First I search on eBay to find the product I'm selling. I look for top sellers selling my product and see what category they have selected. I also look at what they are charging for shipping and write it down.
- Second, I look up what previous phones like mine have sold for so I have an idea of how much my phone is worth.
- Third, I take pictures of my cell phone so it shows any dings or nicks in the phone. I want people to know what they are getting.
- Then I start listing my smart phone on eBay. I select the simple listing option.
- Since I sell my old phones, when I list on eBay, there is a search feature where they usually have a description of my product to use.
- As I go through the listing, I set the shipping price and service based on what the top sellers do.
- I set my initial price of my cell phone at $10 and list it as an auction only. The auction lasts for 7 days. This gives people a chance to see my item and start watching it.
- I pay the 15 cents to add a few more photos so I can show any damage on the phone and I add pictures of what I'm including like chargers, headphones and batteries.
- Then I submit my smart phone to be listed.
I've done this before and have been pleasantly surprised how much demand there is for old phones.
After I sold my last blackberry, I quickly had the cash transferred via paypal. It went so well, I'm thinking of buying old phones and selling them - I have an htc aria for sale now and I'm planning to sell an Iphone 3g as soon as all the data is wiped off of them.
That's another important tip. When I sell a used phone, I always wipe out the data and restore the factory settings. This way nobody gets access to my email or personal information.
Extra Tips on Selling a Mobile Phone
- Delete or wipe all the data off the phone before selling like email, contacts, photos and videos
- Make sure you list your phone in the right category or it's likely it will sell for much less
- Quickly ship the phone once it's sold. You don't want to sully your ebay seller reputation.
- Sell the phone with as many of the accessories as possible in one bundle
- Be aware that ebay seller fees are about 10% of the item. They are based on the final sale price of the phone.
More by this Author
Six brands of the most popular laptop and messenger bags to consider as gifts for employees. These can be easily embroidered with a company logo.
How to get AT&T to replace your insured phone if it gets a cracked screen, and all the things you need to know about the replacement process.
Barbecuing filet mignon is a science. Here is how to grill perfectly cooked steak every time that tastes and looks fantastic.