Social Media Intolerance
Why Is There So Much Anger?
You cannot scroll through Facebook or Twitter without seeing someones post that has created a stir in someone that disagrees. Why is there so much anger toward others when the topic isn't agreed upon by everyone? What causes a person to unleash a torrid rant about someones opinion instead of ignoring what you don't agree with or scrolling past?
Anonymity is the best case reasoning why people think they can say whatever comes into their minds on social media. People feel protected behind their keyboards and feel safe when typing something that they would never say to a person to their face. When standing face to face with another person, most people have a filter that keeps them from saying exactly what they think. When on the internet, they feel safe enough to hide the filter and let the words and thoughts flow. Without regard to another persons feelings or how they end up reflecting upon themselves in the end.
6 Tips For Healthy Debate
- 6 Tips for Healthy Debate | Live Well @ UMD
There are healthy ways to debate a topic versus condemning another for their opinion. Learn how to debate properly.
Could another issue causing poor behavior online within social media be immaturity? There seems to be a lack of maturity in some adults that feel that stirring up an argument is a positive debate on a topic. Arguing and belittling a person is not a positive form of debate on an issue. Some people feel that using condemnation and hateful speech is their way of supporting their opinion, however, leave little to be desired to others that view the behavior as immature. Healthy, positive debate can be a great way to learn about others views and learn about your own as well. There are proper ways to debate a topic without using anger or showing disdain for another person.
Do you react to opinions online that do not reflect your own?See results without voting
Take An Anger Quiz
- Anger Quiz - Anger Management, Anxiety Attacks & Social Anxiety Disorder
Do you feel you have trouble controlling your anger? How well do you manage your anger? Take this short test and find out...
What is Empathy?
- the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.
Is It Adult Bullying?
Do you feel when you see someones post that is rage filled and angry, it is considered bullying? There is so much emphasis on bullying today, trying to instill the definition to children and teenagers so they carry on through life with empathy. Are adults bullying other adults because they don't practice empathy today? Adults are supposed to be role models to children and teenagers. When you see adults behaving badly on social media, what message is being sent to young people? It seems in today's politically correct society that adults are dropping the ball and expecting young people to live with a "do as I say, not as I do" philosophy. Teaching others that it is okay to rant and spew anger and rage is creating an unfriendly society.
Combat Negativity Online
How can you combat negativity online? It is much easier to see the glass half full rather than half empty in most situations. Practicing empathy and compassion and being open to other people's differences can go a long way in a more cohesive existence online. There are ways to create a positive online environment.
- Remember what we were told when we were younger: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." It is very easy to scroll past a post that you don't agree with and just move on.
- Create an environment online with content that you enjoy. Don't invest in groups or forums that create angst and anger within you. Find groups that you agree with and that involve topics that you can enjoy.
- Remember, even though you can't see other people online, feelings and emotions are attached to people and their thoughts, opinions and statuses. We may feel anonymous, but in reality we are not and words do hurt.
- Think about what you type before you type it out. If you would not say it to someones face, don't think it's alright to say it online in written word. Another great old adage from our youth: "Think before you speak!"
- Be a role model. There are always people watching what we do and hearing what we say. Be it another adult or a child or teenager, we can be a role model and portray a positive attitude in all situations. It is easier to smile rather than frown in life.
More by this Author
Keeping a dog on the farm requires specific personality traits that work with farm life. Find out what makes a good farm dog.
Farm animals have many uses on a farm. One of the most beneficial farm animals is the duck. Find out why you need ducks and what they can do for you.
One of the most popular breeds of dog is the Chihuahua. Once a Chihuahua comes into your life the obsession begins! Find out all about the Chihuahua breed.