Expert Tips For The Best GPS TO Buy
Tips In Looking For The Best GPS
It seems that portable GPS devices are now a part of modern life, especially for people who are on the road a lot. But with so many types and brands of these navigational devices it can be difficult to choose the best GPS. This article will help you sift through the different features so you’ll know how to choose the GPS that’s best for you.
GPS - What Is It For?
GPS or global positioning navigation can help you save fuel, time and energy when traveling. A GPS device can help you find the shortest route to your destination or plan your route according to live traffic information. It can also provide information on how to get to local police stations, hospitals, or fire stations.
With advances in technology, these portable navigational devices now come with more and more features, including wider touch screens, Bluetooth, 2D and 3D views, lane assist, real time traffic information, spoken instructions and street names, MP3 player, etc, Choosing the best GPS model for you will depend on your budget and the features that you need and will actually use.
Best GPS - What To Look For
- Maps - GPS units use maps from either NAVTEQ or Tele Atlas. Magellan and Garmin GPS devices use maps from NAVTEQ. Tele Atlas maps are used in many TomTom and Mia products. When choosing a GPS, it is important to have maps that are accurate and up to date. You will also want to know if the GPS model allows you to update/modify the maps. Also, find out how much it will cost to update your maps.
- User friendly interface - Many people would like a GPS unit that is intuitive and easy to use. You should be able to specify your desired destination easily and the GPS should be able to provide a number of alternative routes.
- Modular units - Find out if the device is easy to install on your vehicle. Make sure the touchscreen is responsive and easy to press.
- Features and Add-ons - When choosing the best GPS, ask yourself what features are important to you-- Points of Interest (POIs), live traffic updates, text-to speech capability, Bluetooth, etc.
- Accessories - GPS devices now come with different accessories including extra wide screen, USB port, cigarette lighter adapter, micro-SD card, etc.
- Product reviews - Before purchasing a GPS, read as many reviews as you can on the product. Ask your friends about its performance. Find out how long satellite acquisition takes, and if anybody has experienced system crashes or no signal.
Best GPS for the Road
With so many types of GPS units on the market it’s not easy to choose the best GPS for you, but there are some models that stand out. One of them is the TomTom GO 2505TM. The TomTom offers Bluetooth and lifetime free map updates. It can show the fastest route to your destination on its 5-inch screen. Routing is fast on this GPS and you will get a lot of cool features.
The Magellan RoadMate 1700 is a GPS that you will want to have in your vehicle when you travel. It’s ultra-slim, despite its 7-inch screen. The Magellan RoadMate is pre-loaded with maps of North America and Puerto Rico, plus millions of points of interest including hotels, fast food restaurants, gas stations, etc.
When choosing the best GPS, keep in mind that you don’t need one with all the bells and whistles. What’s important is to find a navigational device that has the features you want and can get you to your destination quickly and safely.
Preview New TomTom GO 2505 (5") & GO 2405 (4.3")
More by this Author
No comments yet.