The Role of Electronic Components in Our Daily Life
This hub is a tribute to Electronics.
This is My 100th hub and it is a tribute to the field of endeavor that was my "Bread and Butter," for the past several years, that is Electronics. Electronics - Almost everything that surrounds us has direct link to Electronics, from the very computers we use whether it be laptops, netbooks or notebooks which has millions of tiny electronic components on it like resistors, inductors, capacitors, logic gates and the likes to the calculators, appliances, gizmos, measuring devices, and gadgets to name just a few. Electronics truly molded our lives we have today, for without it, we might as well grimacing in the shackles of underdevelopment and stagnant society where progress is hardly felt as if we are in an isolated islands. Electronics is the barometer of how far humans have gone through if we use the advancement in technology as a yardstick of progress. The dawn of the new wave of the future is bound to fascinate the world once again, the microchips which houses thousands to several millions of semiconductor components that makes our computers do their functions and features is expected to undergo major transformation in the near future. The nano technology, will soon sweep the world and will soon break barriers between possible and impossible, the author of this hub will soon make a hub about this spectacular technology that deals with microscopic objects.
Some Electronics Pictures or Images
Here are some of the remarkable contributions of Electronics to humanity:
- Communications Systems - Today's Communications Systems which is a broad field, traces its humble beginnings in 1876 when the telephone was invented by Alexander Graham Bell and in 1908 Lee De Forest invented the Triode Vacuum that open the way for the wireless communications. Communications Systems help us get in touch with the people around us whether they are our loved ones, friends, superiors, colleagues and relatives. Telephones, mobile phones, internet connectivity, beepers, TV and radio broadcasting, and other forms of communications will not exists without Electronics and its principles behind all of these necessities.
- Computers - In 1948 a breakthrough in the history of electronics was eked out by the triumvirate of Shockley, Brattain and Bardeen with the invention of transistors. This electronic components permanently replaced the bulky and expensive vacuum tubes. Transistors which has three lead terminals can amplify voltages, control flow of current and versatile to act as a switch which allows them to do the functions of various logic gates and soon were developed to microchips, which serve as a vital part in all computers.
Electricity and Electronics
These two fields of discipline are considered brothers if not chariot and horse tandem, for they share common principles, from calculation of voltages, resistance, current and power to the extensive use of the magnetism especially in the two main types of motors which is the AC and DC.
The Different Electronic Components / Semiconductor Components
Here are some practical uses of Electronics:
- The Christmas lights in your home is similar to the Electronics' resistors in series connection. The connection of lighting fixtures in your homes as well as your different appliances are connected in a fashion similar to Electronics' resistors in parallel.
- The rectifier circuit is found in every power supply of your TVs, radios, mobile phones, amplifiers, and computers. Power supply is also used to supply voltage in small appliances or devices that uses 3V to 12V DC.
- Electronics components are used in clippers, limiters, clampers, mutlipliers, active filters, oscillators and many more.
- Electronics broad applications in Microwaves Communications Systems, Analog Communications, Digital Communications and Information Technology.
My 100th Hub Overall...
My Fifth and a itgeneral Hub in the Christmas HubChallenge...
Some Quotations in Electronics
Electronics is clearly the winner of the day. - John Ford
How are we doing in the electronics field as opposed to, you know, we hear how advanced the Japanese are? Do you think we're still pretty competitive? Oh, yes. - Jack Kilby (the pioneer in inventing the microchip)
I think I thought it would be important for electronics as we knew it then, but that was a much simpler business and electronics was mostly radio and television and the first computers. - Jack Kilby
I think right now the jury is out on where and how much profit is available in the consumer electronics industry, because if you look at the current consumer electronics players, the biggest ones on the planet struggle to make profit consistently. - Kevin Rollins
I'd learned enough about circuitry in high school electronics to know how to drive a TV and get it to draw - shapes of characters and things. - Steve Wozniak
There's a basic principle about consumer electronics: it gets more powerful all the time and it gets cheaper all the time. that's true of all types of consumer electronics. - Trip Hawkins (Indeed as time goes by electronic components tends to get smaller, cheaper and more powerful than their recent predecessors.)
We see portability in electronics being a continuing requirement, higher functionality, better battery life, requiring lower power for the actual electronics. David Milne
Well, the big products in electronics in the '50s were radio and television. The first big computers were just beginning to come in and represented the most logical market for us to work in. - Another quotation from Jack Kilby
When I was a teenager in the late 30's and early 40's, electronics wasn't a word. You were interested in radio if you were interested in electronics. Ken Olsen
Excerpts from Brainquotes.com
You might be interested in:
Information and Technology
More by this Author
The Civil Service Examination that is given in the Philippines is indeed a tough nut to crack; the passing rate over the years had dipped drastically, no thanks to the high 80% mark, one should hurdle. The average...
Our planet is indeed gasping for breath right now, our harmful pollution is indeed choking her slowly and continues to strip her ozone layer. I think it is about time to give our timely response to this alarming state...
This is a tribute to the planet we call home since she will be celebrating her birthday in the days to come and this is actually first of two parts. The Philippines is indeed a haven for wonderful animals whether they...