The benefits of finding online penpals
Did you ever have a penpal? When I was young, I made penpals in many ways, including through schools (in middle school, my teacher connected us to a group of students in South Korea to keep in touch with) and my adoption agency (there was a directory of adoptees interested in meeting and becoming penpals with other adoptees around the nation). I still keep in contact with two of mine; it was a great experience that I would never give up.
Now that I'm older, I can see that there can be much more to being a penpal than just sending letters back and forth. E-pals may not send snail mail, but they can experience many benefits of meeting others on the Internet.
- Meet new people - This is the obvious one. If you just moved to a new area, you can perhaps find a network of locals who are like you. Maybe you don't like anyone where you live, so you can talk with people online who share your interests and match your personality. Singles of course try to find love online, and sometimes do. There is no such thing as a geographical barrier with the Internet. You can make friends from across the world from the comfort of home.
- Learn about a different culture - With so many Internet users around the world, there are infinite opportunities to contact people in places where life is completely different than anything you know. Of course, inhabitants know all about it, and would often be happy to expound upon the way of life they are familiar with. You can ask questions and find out things you wanted to know but couldn't find in books.
- Learn and practice a new language - I'm trying to improve my German skills, so I created a profile on a site where people from around the world can join and meet other people for whatever reasons. Thousands of people have joined from Germany, so it's a great opportunity for them to practice English while I practice German. Using the language, of course, is the best way to learn it.
- Make connections - Perhaps you will be traveling to a different country. Meeting people from that country can be helpful so you can know of a good place to start touring, the best things to do, and so on.
- Get academic benefits - You might need to write a report about a certain country or culture, and you might be required to interview someone firsthand. Foreign penpals are great for this.
I have to say I really enjoy the sites I've joined so far. The network features potential penpals from numerous countries (pages worth of them), and their profiles can show a picture, age, nation, interests, what they are looking for, and a short bio. Others I have looked at are listed in the Additional Resources below.
- InterPals Penpals : Free pen pals from around the world!
Free pen pals from around the world on the most popular penpal site! Learn a language, chat with friends, share photos and join the global community! 100% Free.
- AllPenPals.com | Penpals, Penpal Friends, International Friends & Language Exchange
ALLPenPals.com is an international penpals site and a great place to find a penpal from all over the world. Place and find free pen pal personal ads here.
Penpals, friends, and romance for free! Over 1500 active members 18 and over. FREE -- start making new friends today!
- International Penpals (Pen Friends) - Email Exchange of Language and Cultures (Pen-pals)
International pen pals for exchange of languages and cultures. Over 1 million members!
- PenpalNet - Largest Penpals Website
Since 1996, one of the largest free penpals websites with over 1 million members. A great place to make new friends and explore the world through letter writing.
More by this Author
You've likely heard about virtual pets to an extent, but why should you adopt one? What can you do with your pet once you create it? Where's the best place to adopt from? This HubPage will provide you with everything...
Your computer is given an IP address every time you connect to the Internet so other computers can identify it. There are online search tools to find these addresses. You may want to perform such searches to discover...
- EDITOR'S CHOICE32
In college, I became anorexic and am thankful to have overcome that condition. Learn more about my experience so that you can learn from my mistakes.