First Time Mac Users: Tips and Tricks for Making Your Mac Work Like a PC
For First-Time Mac Users
I first got a Mac when my college campus required it; they said they were a "Mac campus." After using PCs for my entire computing life, I was irritated and anxious. What if I couldn't figure out how to use it?
Four years later, I love my Apple iBook, which is still my original laptop, but I have my little habits that I don't like to break from my PC-using days. So, here are five ways that you can use your Mac that make it act more like a PC.
- The CTRL key. It doesn't have the same use as on a PC, but if you hold the CTRL key and click on something, it's just like right-clicking on a PC mouse. The two-button mouse was something I really missed on my Mac.
- The button that I believe is called the Option button. It has a picture of the Apple icon and a character that looks like a square with bubbles coming out of the corners. That button works like the CTRL key on a PC. So, the shortcuts on a PC like CTRL+S correspond to Option+S.
- Use Firefox as your internet browser. Firefox is compatible with Windows and PC, and it looks more like Internet Explorer than it does Safari.
- Use the Search function in Finder. It works similarly to the Search option in the Start menu on a PC. To find the Search bar, open a Finder window, and look to the top right of the window. Choose where in your computer you want to search by clicking on the magnifying glass icon and selecting the option you want. Then just type in what you're searching for.
- Learn how the toolbar works on a Mac. If you know how it works, you can learn to use it in a similar way as a PC.
Mac and PC on Amazon
Do you prefer to use a Mac or a PC?See results without voting
Mac Vs. PC Hubs
- Best Arguments for Which To Choose- Mac or PC
After the back and forth of commercials from both companies, weve all probably been forced to ask: Mac or PC? Both seem to have strong and weak points, and we all certainly know people who strongly prefer...
- Laptop Dilemma: Mac or PC?
Its the great debate Mac vs PC people are staunchly loyal to whichever one is their favorite. So which should a new computer user choose? In the end it comes down to preference and...
- Mac vs PC: A Pragmatic Approach
A quick look at the roles in which either a PC or a Mac might prove more effective, without all of the emotive rhetoric for one camp or the other.
More by this Author
I want to share my experience with Trichotillomania to show that myself and fellow trichsters are not alone. I also hope that just by paying attention to myself and chronicling my actions, I can eventually decrease the...
Need some insight into why you just can't get your teenage daughter to clean her room? I can offer some explanation as to why teenage girls have such messy rooms.
A description of my mother's complete failure of a knee replacement and the circumstances that led to it.
No comments yet.