Tips and advice on how to use Samsung Galaxy Y as a wifi internet Hotspot
Galaxy Young as a Internet Access Point
How to use Samsung Galaxy Y as a wifi hotspot? This is a common question for many Samsung Galaxy Y users.
Using Samsung Galaxy Totoro as a wifi hotspot is really quite simple but this may not be the case for some users – yours truly is actually an example. It is possible that some users, even after following the instructions posted here, will still experience limited connectivity or no internet access problems. This will be discuss on the latter part of the post.
Important things to know about Samsung Galaxy Y
Before continuing on the details or steps on how to use Samsung Galaxy Y as wifi hotspot, listed below are some important information and tips that Galaxy Y owners should know:
- Samsung Galaxy Y is also known as Samsung Galaxy Totoro, Samsung Galaxy Young, and Samsung Galaxy S5360.
- Galaxy Young is considered as a low-end budget-phone whose main or target audience are teenagers, young adults, and people who are looking for a secondary phone.
- As a budget phone, Samsung Totoro has some product limitations and hardware disadvantages which has already been discussed and can be read on this post: Problems, Limitations, and Disadvantages of Samsung Galaxy Y or Totoro
- However, with any limitation, there is a seemingly equal solution which was also discussed on the particular post mentioned above. One example of which is its Android OS and the device is easy to root.
- One great feature of Galaxy Y that can also be found on other high end mobile phones and tablets is its ability to be a WiFi hotspot or its ability to share its 3G / HSDPA connectivity with other compatible device such as desktop PCs, laptops, tablets, other mobile phones, hand held devices, etc… This process or function is called Tethering and the steps on how to tether or use Galaxy Y as an internet access point is discussed below.
Steps on how to use Samsung Galaxy Y as an internet access point:
- On the front face of the phone, press the button on the left side of the home button (square middle button). See Pic A
- Six options will appear. Select the one labeled “Settings” See Pic B
- Choose “Wireless and Networks” See Pic C
- Tap on "Tethering and portable hotspot" See Pic D
- Put a check on the check box beside the label “Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot” See Pic E
IMPORTANT CAUTION and tips when using Samsung Galaxy Y as a WiFi Hotspot!!!
The portable Wi-Fi hotspot settings of the device can be configured for additional security by putting in a Wi-Fi hotspot name and password.
A common problem encountered by Galaxy Young users on using the tethering option is connected but no internet connectivity or limited connection. The possible reasons for this are listed below:
- blocked by the network provider
- internal mobile phone settings if the mobile phone is bought from the mobile network operator firmware version of the device
- operating system / missing drivers / security of the device trying to connect to the wifi hotspot of the Galaxy Young
- wifi hotspot settings are enabled but the data connection is not. Be sure to turn on the data connectivity of the device. The data connection is enabled if there is a little letter "H" or "3G" near the signal bar
The following are some simple solutions on the problems mentioned above:
- Download a tethering app (some will require root access)
- Instead of wireless (wifi) tethering, use USB tethering instead (will also require app but may not require root access)
However, if the device is bought from the network provider or is under a data plan contract from the same provider, and the mobile network operator does not allow wireless tethering, then the only option would be to root the phone and use a tethering app.
I actually rooted my phone but I don't condone such an act because:
- it may brick the phone rendering it useless
- will void the warranty
Some good alternatives for the Galaxy Y
Planning to buy a Samsung Galaxy Y to be solely used as a Wifi hotspot seems like a good idea --- or is it?
It is important to know that many modern android phones and Apple’s iPhone are already capable of this particular functionality.
One can simply enable said functionality and other devices would already be able to connect to it. For more information about this, please visit the How to tether or make a mobile phone a wifi hotspot guide
But if you really want to buy a separate phone just to make it as a wifi hotspot, then a used but not abused phone will do (as a brand new one may not be a feasible idea).
Additionally, since Galaxy Y has been around for a couple of years already, its availability might be scarce. Though the ones below are good alternatives for the Galaxy Y:
Accessories and Box Contents of the Galaxy Y
More by this Author
Samsung Galaxy Y is a great low-end budget phone. However, a lot of product limitations exist as well as reported problems and disadvantages by some Samsung Galaxy Y owners. This post is all about the disadvantages,...
Great News! Globe now allows its prepaid subscribers to be able to choose their very own number when buying a new SIM card
This post will discuss the steps on how to withdraw Paypal funds to BPI (Bank of the Philippines Island) complete with step by step pictures - plus other important information