Tips for Saving Money on Telephone Costs
The economy is in a precarious state and most of us are trying to find ways to save money. The best way to save money is to reduce the cost of spending on things that you use every single day. For example, you probably use your phone every day and it's not something that you can just get rid of so you should try to find ways to reduce the amount of money that you spend on phone calls. Following you'll find some basic tips for saving money on telephone costs.
Analyze Phone Spending
The first thing that you need to do is to figure out what you spend on your monthly phone bill. You can't learn how to reduce call costs unless you know where your money is going. Here are some things to consider:
- How many phone bills do you pay? Do you have a cell phone and a landline? Are there multiple cell phones for your family?
- How does the breakdown of your costs work? Do you spend a lot on minutes that exceed those within your cell phone plan? Do you spend a lot on international calls? How much do you spend on fees and extra phone features like voice mail?
- Who are the top five people or businesses that you call?
Identify Ways to Save Money
After analyzing where your money goes, you can figure out ways to save money. These are some of the common problem areas and how to address them:
- Paying too many phone bills. Options to reduce costs here include getting rid of the landline, getting rid of the cell phone or putting all of the home's cell phones on a single family plan.
- Over-paying for phone features. Determine whether you need the features that you pay extra for on both your landline and cell phones. Get rid of all paid features that you don't use.
- Paying more than you need to. For example, you may always go over your minutes on your cell phone and have to pay by the minute; choose a plan with more minutes to save on costs. Likewise, you may have phone service separate from other bills like cable and Internet; you can bundle them and reduce costs.
Common Tips to Reduce Phone Spending
In addition to analyzing your spending and dealing with the problem areas that you've identified as most significant, you can implement the following tips to further reduce the amount of money that you spend on calls:
- Use free phone cards. There are places online that let you get these but some are scams so review them carefully before you sign up. Use them on a landline so you don't use up your cell phone minutes.
- Make use of free calls on your cell network. If you have free nights and weekends, make most of your calls then. If you have free calling within the network, find out which people in your use that same network.
- Learn about VoIP. VoIP calling is completed through the computer and may require no extra hardware or software if you get the right service. You can even get mobile VoIP. These services often have free peer-to-peer calling within the network. Some even offer free calling or low-cost calling at all times. This is a great way to reduce overall phone costs. If you are using the Internet to complete calls, you'll want to look closely for good broadband deals so that you're paying the lowest cost possible for your broadband connection.
Adjusting Your Phone Usage
The main thing that you need to do to reduce the costs of telephone calls is to start changing your phone habits. Don't just pick up the phone every time you think that you need it. Instead, think about the costs of your calls and make wise decisions about when to call people and what method to use to make those calls. Mindful attention to your calling habits can significantly reduce what you spend on calls.
- How to Lower Your Phone Bill
- Lower Your Phone Bill
- Lower Your Home Phone Service Bill at ConnectMyPhone
- Lower your phone bill
- Topic: lower phone bill - MyBlogLog
- Long Distance Phone Service Comparison - SaveOnPhone.com
- Saving Money: Lower your phone bill (and more) with leveraged ...
- Art Of Saving - Long Distance, Conferencing, DSL, Cellular Phones ...
- Telephone Bill Cost Review
More by this Author
Mobile phone artists create works of art using cell phones. The mobile phone may be the medium or the subject in mobile phone art. Here are some favorite artist picks for cell phone art.
Do you love new gadgets? Do you enjoy getting the latest mobile phone that is available and trying out all of the new applications that it can access? This can get to be a pretty expensive hobby since new phones are...
How can you tell if your mushrooms are turning bad? Find out the most common signs to look for before throwing them out.