Top 10 PC Utilities That Do Nothing Useful
There are literally millions of computer users whose systems are bogged down to a crawl due to the installation of a wide variety of completely useless junk utilities which not only do nothing useful, but can often run in the background continuously, chewing up your system resources that you would much rather utilize for important applications. If you have any of these on your PC, uninstall them now!
1) Broadband Connection Tweakers: They are supposed to optimize your broadband connection for faster throughput. The only thing they'll optimize is their bank account at your expense.
2) Download Managers: Countless users install these utilities on their PCs to speed up downloads. Although they can be handy in picking up broken downloads from where you left off, they don't speed up anything at all.
3) Registry Editors: They don't do nothing. They do lots. Almost all of it destructive. Avoid like the plague.
4) RAM Memory Optimizers: They're supposed to reallocate your RAM to free up all sorts of extra memory. They should come with a discount offer to buy dry swampland in the Everglades. If you want a fresh and effective reallocation of your RAM, just reboot!
5) Hard Drive Crash Protectors: These utilities are supposed to predict when your hard drive is about to crash and save it. The best way to protect yourself from a crash is a helmet. These utilities are pure junk and completely useless.
6) Alternate Explorers and Skins: These utilities will change around your desktop and sometimes even your entire user interface to one that is "more effective." The only thing that these utilities are more effective in is to mess up your system. Avoid!
7) File Erasers: Sure, they'll overwrite your files seven or more times to United States Department Of Defense (USDOD) standards, but if you're doing something on your PC that requires that level of security, you should be in jail. If you're getting rid of an old hard drive and don't want anyone to harvest your erased data, just hammer a couple of nails right through the drive. That'll make sure no one can ever read from it again!
8) Remote Storage: Wow, what a concept! You can pay to have 10, 20 or more GB of your data stored completely securely on some server somewhere. Not only are you opening yourself up to being data mined unless you encrypt everything first, but have you ever tried to upload 20 GB from your PC? Even on very fast broadband connections, that can take days!
9) Emergency Recovery: If you can't get into your system by Safe Mode and a pre-set-up Emergency Boot Disk, your system is toast anyway.
10) Browser Plug-Ins and Gadgets: If you tried really hard to come up with some of the most patently useless and ridiculous wastes of hard drive space and CPU cycles, you would be hard pressed to create anything worse than 99% of all the Browser Plug-Ins and Gadgets out there. All they do is take up space, slow down your PC, and all the while providing incredibly important information such as how many days, hours and minutes until the premiere of the next Star Trek film, or the current temperature and relative humidity in Magallanes, Chilean Patagonia.
More by this Author
Of all the incredibly stupid things people do to their CPUs, including overclocking them until they are hot enough to melt steel, the single most imbecilic modification has to be lapping. Using absurdly...
The Most Outlandish Computer Comparison Ever! A 1986 Mac Plus pitted against a 2007 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ DualCore in a series of Microsoft Word & Excel user tests. You will NEVER believe who wins!
Genovese pasta sauce has been Naples' best kept secret for over 400 years. This incredible onion-beef sauce simmers all day long until it's poured over steaming hot pasta and covered in Parmigiano Reggiano. Irresistible!