Top Google Searches 2011
1. This popular social networking site was the top googled search of 2011. Which comes as no surprise as they currently have over 800 million active users. What started as a site for Harvard students became popular with people all across the globe. It is now used by Schools, colleges, businesses and even emergency services.
Facebook is not only a way of keeping in touch with friends and family, but also a great way to advertise your own website or business. More and more popular brands are using facebook to reach out to their customers. It will take a lot to knock Facebook of the top spot for 2012.
2. YouTube was the second biggest google search in the UK last year. The video sharing website has become increasingly popular over the years, and can now be used on blogging sites, websites and mobile phones. You can find pretty much anything on YouTube from, How To Tutorials' to 'TV Programmes'.
It is probably more commonly used for uploading funny video clips in the hope that the user will receive thousands of views. The most popular video clip on YouTube is 'Charlie bit my finger' featuring a one year old Charlie biting the finger of his three year old brother Harry. This video alone received over 300 million views.
3. Hotmail was the third most googled search for 2011. Windows Live Hotmail is the biggest web based email service, with 364 million users. Hotmail offers instant messaging (MSN) and unlimited storage, it is also available in 36 different languages. Hotmail was one of the first Web-Mail services available on the Internet, when it launched on Independence Day back in 1996.
By December 1997 there were more than 8.5 million users, which is when they sold it to Microsoft for a whopping 400 million. Hotmail became even more popular and had a reported 30 million users by 1999; eventually it became Windows Live Hotmail.
4. eBay was the 4th most popular search of 2011. eBay was founded in 1995 and is the biggest online auction and shopping website on the Internet. It can be used by anyone wanting to sell their unwanted goods and make a bit of extra cash.
It also has eBay shops where businesses can trade. In 2002, the company bought PayPal.
Now most eBay sellers offer PayPal as their main payment option. eBay are also popular for their feedback system, where sellers and buyers can give scores and leave comments on how their transaction went. In 2005 eBay bought 'SKYPE' and in 2011 they sold it to Microsoft for $8.5 billion.
5. Google was the 5th most popular errr 'Google' search of 2011. This means there are millions of Brits that google google, every single day. Google is a multinational Internet and software corporation, which specialises in Internet search, cloud computing and advertising technologies.
They currently employ over 32,467 people.
99 per cent of Google's revenue comes from their advertising programs and only 1 per cent comes from licencing and other revenues. In 2011 Google's total profits were a whopping 9.737 Billion. Their total assets were 72.574 Billion. Total equity was estimated at 58.145 Billion.
Don't believe me?? Then Google it :-)
Have you ever googled Google?See results without voting
6. The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC) is the largest broadcaster in the world which is probably why they were the 6th biggest Google search of 2011. The BBC also known as 'Auntie' and 'The Beeb' is publicly owned and operates under a Royal charter as well as a licence agreement from the home secretary.
BBC have been met with a lot of criticism from the British public, as all households are required to pay an annual TV licence solely for the BBC channels , despite many never even watching them (well except Eastenders of course ;). The British public pay a huge 3,446.8 Million every year in licence fees.
The Beeb was founded on the 18th October 1922 and was the first national broadcasting organisation. They have roughly 23,000 employees. In July 2007, they introduced BBC iplayer, which allows users to watch TV shows and listen to radio shows online. They can do this live or up to a week after broadcasting.
7. It is not hard to see why Amazon became the 7th most popular Google search. Amazon (named after one of the largest rivers in the world) has certainly lived up to its name. Founded by Jeff Bezos in 1994, it has now become the largest online retailer in the world. Their revenue for 2011 alone was a staggering $48, 07 Billion.
They currently have 65,600 employees and have separate websites for over ten different countries. Amazon also allows people to sell their products in their Market Place, but unlike eBay there is no bidding system in place, instead all the prices are set.
Amazon began as an online bookstore and now sells everything from cd's and electronics to kid's toys and games. More recently In 2011,
Amazon launched 'Kindle Fire' which runs a customised version of Android at a much lower price.
8. Argos was the 8th biggest search for 2011 in the UK. Argos is a well known catalogue merchant in the UK and Ireland. They serve over 130 million customers every year from over 700 stores and through their online websites.
Argos currently employs over 51,000 employees, and their sales for 2011 were around £4. 3 Billion.
They bring out their catalogues twice a year, and estimates that on average, 18 million UK households have one in their home. They sell a wide range of household products and general merchandise. They also have a lot of their own brands, such as Cookworks, Pro Fitness and Beanstalk.
Popular slogans for Argos include "Don't just shop for it, Argos it." and "Find it, Get it, Argos it."
9. Yahoo was the 9th most popular search in 2011. Founded in 1994, Yahoo is one of the largest websites in the USA with approx 700 million visits every month. They currently have around 12,000 employees and their revenue in 2011 was $4. 98 Billion, Yahooo!!
Yahoo is popular for its search engine, yahoo mail, web portal, advertising and the list goes on.
In 2010 Yahoo held the largest market share in online display advertising in the world, beating the likes of Google and Microsoft. Today, Yahoo is in second place just behind Facebook.
10. Tesco was the 10th most popular search in 2011. Tesco are the third largest retailer in the world. They operate in 14 countries and employ over 500,00 people.
Tesco was founded in 1919 by Jack Cohen. Jack began selling groceries from a market stall in East London where he made £1 profit.
In 1934 Jack bought some land and built the first modern food warehouse in the country. Now 78 years later, Tesco has 6,351 stores and their revenue in 2010/11 was a huge £60.93 Billion.
Some Tesco's are open 24hr, they also have bigger stores (Tesco Extra) and smaller convenience stores (Tesco Express) they also have their own petrol stations. As well as groceries, Tesco also sell home ware, books, electrical items, clothes and bring out a catalogue twice a year. They also offer credit cards, insurances, home phone, broadband and mobile phones.
The biggest thing Tesco offer their customers is the Tesco club card, which rewards the customer for their loyalty. Every time you shop at Tesco you get points added to your club card which you can save up and spend on anything in the store.
Tesco have recently teamed up with Virgin Atlantic, so their customers can now convert their club card points into flyer miles.
Which Site Do You Visit The Most?See results without voting
The Royal Wedding 2011
Fastest Rising Searches In The UK 2011
- The Royal Wedding
- iPhone 5
- Fifa 12
- iPad 2
- Ryan Dunn
- Rebecca Black
- Ed Sheeran
Breaking Dawn Movie
Fastest Rising Movie Searches 2011
- Breaking Dawn
- Final Destination 5
- Mean Girls 2
- True Grit
- Conan the Barbarian
- Scream 4
- The Inbetweeners
- Little Fockers
- Transformers 3
More by this Author
I have two email accounts, and every day without fail i sign in to find my junk folder and inbox folder filled with unwanted emails, not only is this annoying because i didnt ask to be sent this rubbish,
Chatroulette is a chat based website that allows people from all over the world to interact with each other through web-cam based chat. The website was created by 17yr old Andrey Ternovskiy after
You may have seen the movie The Haunting in Connecticut but have you heard the real life story?