18 Terrific Twitter Tips for New Users in 140 Characters Or Less!
Twitter as a social marketing network and a place to find and follow friends, network yourself & even your business is a truly remarkable community. The concept is truly awesome and is sometimes also called micro blogging. Micro blogging (or minimalistic blogging) essentially limits the size of each contributor's posts - which minimizes or condenses what people say into what's most important.
Twitter limits each tweet (or post) to 140 characters including spaces, punctuation & links. The concept has caught on and is now blazing across the internet. Now people with short attention spans (and/or limited time) can check out the lastest tweets without having to read/scan through an entire 500 to 1,000 word article to get to the real meat of what someone is saying.
Twitter forces its users to condense their comments to 140 characters or less ... no one can get wordy, get on their soapbox, go off on a tangent AND, most importantly, no one has the time & characters to be truly boring.
If you are new to Twitter, it can be confusing and sometimes
overwhelming. So, here are some true Twitter-like tips for new users
just getting started-- each one 140 characters or less:
1. Tweet about things that interest you. People with the same interests will follow you to see what else you have to say.
2. Follow interesting people. When you find them, see who they follow & follow them as well.
3. Say "Thanks" when someone (or several someones) RT one of your posts. People see the "thanks" and go find the post that started it.
4. Don't use Twitter to constantly sell your stuff. You are not a pimp. It's the quickest way to lose people's interest and their attention.
5. People do NOT want to know about your bathroom habits. There really is such a thing as T.M.I. (Too Much Information)
6. You never know who is twittering. Don't tweet something you wouldn't want your Mom, your boss, your spouse or your worst enemy to read.
7. If you get in a long 2-way discussion with one twerson - take it to DM. There's nothing as boring as seeing one side of a conversation.
8. Need an answer? Ask the question! Tweeple love giving their opinions.
9. Be a real person - add your photo. It's better than an icon, avatar or your sister's cat. People want to see YOU.
10. Not sure what to tweet? Ask yourself "what's interesting now" instead of "what am I doing now?"
11. If someone follows you, follow them back. They may have some really interesting tweets. Use an auto-follow software if needed.
12. When someone else says something inspiring, interesting or fun; Retweet it to your tweeple. Don't forget to give credit to the originator.
13. Think Golden Rule-If you can't say something nice, you may want to rethink your tweet. Lots of people may judge you by that single comment.
14. Shorten your links using a URL shortener. Some Twitter application, such at TweetDeck or HootSuite, even have them included for convenience.
15. If you decide that you really like Twitter, check out different Twitter applications & tools. It'll make your tweeting time more efficient.
16. Be willing to offer something of value, give of yourself, learn from others and then retweet it. It's really NOT all about you.
17. Tell a clean joke. Show beautiful photos. Inspire someone. Share funny stories. Condense your life into 140 characters at a time.
18. Most of all, have fun! The networking & business building (if that's your real goal) will come naturally if you tweet right & give it time.
And there you have it! With these basic tips in mind, you are ready to start your Twitter adventure - in 140 characters or less!