MS Word 2003 Tools Menu
MS Word 2003 Tools Menu
This tutorial is for those who might still be using Ms Word 2003. It is worthy noting that these application programs keep on changing and we get newer improved versions. With the basic knowledge of any version, you can be able to work your way round with other versions. Though there is always an advantage with working with later versions because they will always have new and improved features. Some of the latest versions of Microsoft Office Word are Ms word 2007, 2010, 2013 and Ms Word 2016.
The knowledge you will get here can also be applied to various open sour programs which are almost similar to Microsoft Office Suite application programs. MS Word 2003 tools menu has got very important options available for modifying your document.
- Spelling and grammar – This tool is for checking spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. Spelling mistakes will usually have a red wavy underline and grammatical errors green. Clicking spelling and grammar, a dialogue box appears with words not in dictionary highlighted and suggestions given below.
When spell checking, you can ignore a word if it is supposed to be like that, ignore all if they are many words. Words not in dictionary can also be added to the computer’s dictionary.
The change option helps to replace a word by using the suggested word if it is the correct one. Change all will help you to replace similar words in the entire document. As you can see, this tool is very important as it will enable you prepare a document free of errors.
Spelling and Grammar Dialog Box
Word Count on Ms Word
- Research – the research command is used for referencing information online and from your computer without closing your word program. Using the research task pane, you can search multiple sources or select a specific source depending on what you want.
- Language – the language command has a number of uses. You can set language to use, translate from one language to another, you can use thesaurus for searching words and you can also add hyphens to eliminate gaps or to maintain even line lengths in narrow columns using hyphenation command.
- Word count – this is an important tool especially when you want to keep track of pages, words, characters with space or without, paragraphs and lines. I usually use this command to check my total number of words on each hub I write.
- Auto-summarize – This a tool for summarizing where key points relevant to the title are picked from the main document.
- Speech – This tool is for speech recognition.
- Shared workspace – this is an area hosted by web server where colleagues can share documents and information.
- Track changes – You can use this tool for tracking changes on your document as you type.
Protecting Word Document
- Compare and merge documents – this is for comparing and merging two documents.
- Protect document – this tool is for protecting the document against formatting and editing.
- Online collaboration – this tool allows you to meet online with people at different locations in real time. When you are in an online meeting, you can share programs and documents, send text messages in Chat, transfer files, and work on the Whiteboard. You can either host an online meeting or be invited to participate in one.
- Letters and mailing – This option is mainly used for mail merge purpose. This mail merge tool enables you to create multiple documents for instance letters or labels from a single template form and a structured data source.
- Macros – Macros are used to automatically execute tasks that you specify. If you perform a task repeatedly in Microsoft Word, you can automate the task by using a macro.
- Autocorrect options – use this command to specify how Microsoft Word will be automatically correcting your document as you type.
- Customize – this command is for customizing toolbars, commands ands options.
- Options – use this command to set various options like security, editing options, printing and a host of other options. For example, using the security option, you can assign a password to your microsoft word document so that when opening and modifying it, you will be required to supply a password.
Was this information helpful?See results without voting
© 2012 Patrick Kamau
More by this Author
The view menu is important when working with Microsoft Office Word 2003. It contains commands that are used when editing and formatting word documents. This tutorial is specifically designed for you.
For beginners, it is important to know how to make use of the format menu of Microsoft Office Word 2003. It helps us to format documents we type in MS Word to achieve the desired effects.
The motherboard includes components crucial to the functioning of a computer. Among them, the Central Processing Unit and Random Access Memory. Learn more about the parts and their functions.