What To Do If You Get Water Spilled on Your Laptop or Notebook
I spilled water on my laptop one morning and panicked. The water spilled on the touchpad and it wasn't working. I thought I had ruined it. I know I should have been using a container with a lid if I was going to drink while surfing, but I didn't.
I dried all of the water I could get out of it, and after about 3 days, it started working again. Later I've found that there are faster and better ways to take care of the problem. The first one, is not to panic like I did. Your computer will probably work again just fine.
Just follow the steps below.
Steps to Take When You Have a Small Spill
1. Turn off and unplug the computer.
2. Use a microfiber cloth and dab up the spill. Use a cotton tip swab for hard to reach areas.
3. If it is a small sticky spill, use 90% isopropyl alcohol to clean the spill. Alcohol dries faster.
4. Be sure the computer is completely dry before using.
Steps to Take For Larger Spills
For Large Spills
1. Turn the computer off immediately. Unplug it from the power source. Remove the battery.
2. If you've spilled a large amount of water on the computer, turn it over and let all of the water drain off of the computer. If needed shake the computer to get the water out.
3. Now lay the laptop on its side. If any water got into the CD slot, be sure it is laying down on its side.
4. Don't use the computer until you know it is perfectly dry. Using a blow dryer on a low setting will help dry the laptop faster.
5. Most computers will work fine after this treatment. If yours isn't, you will need to take it into a repairman.
How to Fix a Wet Laptop
If you've had a sticky spill, try to clean it as best you can using the steps above. Speed is important in this case. Once you let the spill dry, everything is going to stick. You are probably going to need to take the laptop to a repairman in this case. Otherwise these instructions will usually work for a water spill. Sticky spills are more serious.
What to Do if You Spill Juice
Have you ever spilled anything on your notebook or laptop?See results without voting
More by this Author
Learn everything you need know How to grow Asiatic Lilies. They are some of the most beautiful flowers available. The lilies grow from bulbs that spread.
Crochet angel look great on the Christmas tree and are nice to display. Included are an angel doll, angel dishcloth, angel towel holder, bookmarks, tree top angels and more.
Infinity scarves are high fashion right now. Here you'll find free patterns, videos and tutorials for crochet infinity scarves.