What is GUI (Graphical User Interface)?
The GUI stands for Graphical User Interface. It is an interface for a user to computer. At the moment, majority computer users use GUI while working with computers. Only a small part of people, mainly they are computer software engineering professionals or system administrators, sometime use command line interface while working. For those, who are not familiar with history of computer software, it can be very hard to imagine, how it is possible to use computer without all this graphical interface we have now.
Some time ago computers did not have GUI. Working with computer was text based. The user had to remember certain commands, that computer could respond to. The best example of operating system that did not have GUI is DOS operating system. Those, who are more curious, can run DOS in Windows OS, and get familiar with it.
Properties of GUI
The main reason, why GUI is so commonly used in different operating systems is that it makes working with computer so easy, that almost everyone can learn it quickly.
The main properties of every GUI are:
- User friendly environment.
- Easy to learn. The user can learn such an environment quickly. What is more, it is not hard to change OS on your computer, because the new environment will be learned intuitively.
- Easy to use. Well made GUI can be used intuitively, because such terms as menu, file, folder, desktop and many others are associated with real life things.
- Easy to implement for programmers.
- Uses WIMP environment. Term WIMP stands for Window, Icon, Menu, Pointer.
At the moment all operating systems provide a graphical user interface. I might be wrong on this statement, so please correct me, if you know some OS that do not provide GUI. All the applications that are used on OS mainly use all common elements that come with particular OS, combining them with their own GUI elements and ideas. As I have mentioned before, in many cases, associations with real life objects are used in GUI. You probably know such terms as desktop, window, menu and others. The main elements of each GUI are windows, pull-down menus, scroll bars, icons, the mouse. The mouse today is changed by human's finger on tablets and smartphones. This is possible by using touch sensitive screens.
As various multimedia implementations are possible today, GUI becomes more interactive. The combination of sound, voice, motion pictures and various input devices creates a new form of environment that is called "look-and-feel".
The environment, that is used in Kinect device, can be called a new generation of environment. The cameras and other senors enables the control of game without touching the keyboard, mouse, or screen. Such an environment can be called Natural User Interface. The game can be controlled using gestures and spoken commands. Maybe someday we will able to have an environment that cam be controlled by mind.
GUI vs. CLI
There were many discussions going in the beginning of the era of GUI. The computer experts revealed many pros and cons regarding GUI and CLI (Command Line Interface) interfaces. I believe, that you will be interested in some arguments.
- GUI is easy usable for ordinary computer user. It is user friendly environment.
- Using GUI is faster. There is no need to remember commands. The user need only to click the desired icon.
- GUI is a progressive environment comparing to CLI.
- CLI environment looks like it comes from the stone age.
- GUI interface "dumbs down" OS.
- GUI have many security holes.
- GUI consumes much computer resources.
- CLI gives the user more control on system. All the command are executed exactly as they should be.
- CLI can be used much faster than GUI. It is much faster to enter command by keyboard that use mouse, scroll down and click.
Want to Learn More?
You Also May Be Intereste In
- Why C has been named as C?
C is a very popular programming language. It is very old language and some other languages that evolved from C are known well. These languages are C++ and C#. This article introduces the origin of this language. Do you know why it is called C? No? Pl
More by this Author
Imagine, that the firs computers filled the whole room. Now we have computers such small that they can be put in our pocket. Explore the evolution of computers and find out what technological achievements allowed...
To understand computing system six layers of computing system are presented. Abstract layered model allows to understand, build and use computer system.
The CPU is similar to human brain. Its performance is based on simple operations, which are called instructions. Find out how your CPU works and how its speed is measured.