Why Use A Blogging Calendar or Blog Editorial Calendar?
Why Use Blogging Calendars
When you are a freelancer, you're creating content all day long for other people. At the end of the day, blogging may be the last thing you have the energy to do. A blogging or editorial calendar can make it easier for your to kick-start ideas into posts so that you blog more regularly. This can boost your business website's placement in SERPs, raise your business brand awareness, attract new clients, and help you increase your income.
What is a blogging or editorial calendar?
A blogging calendar is a utility that allows you to schedule and plan out blog posts. If you have a stable of writers creating content for one blog and you need to assign content and deadlines to staff writers and freelance bloggers for hire, it can be invaluable.
A blog calendar also works well for just one writer, as it allows you to brainstorm post ideas and schedule upcoming posts, then get right to work when you are ready to write your posts.
There are many free blog editorial calendars out there. Popular choices include:
- Editorial Calendar WordPress Plugin - You can use this to schedule and plan posts directly from your WP dash.
- HubSpot free template geared toward content marketers
- Lightbox editorial calendar, which has monthly tabs and is geared toward nonprofits
- Vertical Measures offers both a monthly and weekly editorial calendar
If you don't want to learn a new program, you can always use the calendaring app located on your smartphone or computer, or even use Google Calendar. Even a paper calendar or planner will work. Be creative!
Learn More About Blogging Calendars
How Can an Editorial Calendar Benefit Your Blog?
There are many productivity benefits to using a blog calendar. Benefits of scheduling posts with a calendar include:
- Generate more ideas - Simply writing out everything you plan to blog about can actually give you more ideas. You might decide to do a series, or extend your related posts with "Top 5" roundups and the like.
- Actually being accountable - Listing out your goals in the form of content creation can actually make you more accountable. You have the calendar, and you know you need to do it, so you go ahead and do it. There's much less accountability when an idea's only in your head.
- Strategize your growth - When you lay everything out, your strategy becomes clear. When you step back and look at all the content you have scheduled, you're better able to grasp the larger picture. You can chart your future!
- Increase engagement and revenue - For your readers, this translates to more regular content. It can help you grow a blog following, see more user interaction, connect with new leads, and earn more revenue from ads on your blog.
Other Blogging Tips
- 5 Ways to Promote Your Blog Post
Promotion is necessary to grow your audience and increase your revenue. Use these 5 strategies every time you post.
- Bloggers | How to Promote Your Blog and Build Your T...
After five years of blogging, a lot of trial and error, blogger Julie DeNeen gives readers her tried and true tips for building a loyal audience. If you want a quick fix, this isn't the article for you. It is about a slow, deliberate, strategic plan
- How to Monetize Your Blog
It's one thing to write a blog, but quite another challenge to make money from it - especially in 2013, when the way to monetize successfully has changed so much
- How to Blog Like a Boss
If you're here, it's because you want to add power, sassiness, and that special sauce to your blog. You want to rock your readers' worlds until they come back for more, time and time again. Well, unfortunately, it's not easy. With these tips,...
DIY Blog Calendar on Your Wall
More by this Author
Beachy hair waves are a fun summer style that's totally easy to create.
A parent dance like a mother son dance or father daughter wedding dance is fun for you and your parent. Picking a song everyone likes can be tricky so try these.
Putting financial management program Quicken onto a portable drive allows you to bring it back and forth between work and home computers and to backup Quicken files. As an added bonus, you ensure the privacy of your...
No comments yet.