Windows 7 Installation: How to install Windows 7 Operating System on Your Computer or PC?
Windows 7 operating system is one of best choice for many people. If you already purchase the DVD of Windows 7 form any retailer or online store, you can easily install it from the Interactive Setup Wizard of Microsoft's. You just have to pass several steps to install Windows 7. This page contains the step by step installation procedure of Windows 7.
Windows 7 can be installed three ways. First and my best choice is to a clean installation (Windows 7 will be the only operating system of your computer). Second way is to upgrade any other Windows (Vista or Windows XP or others) to Windows 7. The third way is the dual-boot where Windows 7 will be installed besides with other operating system and there will be a boot menu at the start-up time to select any operating system to run.
Windows 7 installation guide (step by step)
Before installation Windows 7 on your PC, make sure you have a Windows 7 DVD and your hard drive has enough space and well formatted.
Now follow the following steps to install Windows 7 on your computer:
Boot-up your PC form the Windows DVD
- At first, insert the Windows DVD into DVD ROM/RAM.
- When the computer will start up, press F8 or F10 or F11 or DEL key to enter the BIOS setup.
- Configure boot options by selecting DVD-ROM drive as the First Boot Priority.
- Now, your computer will try to boot-up form the DVD ROM and the following screen will be appeared.
Select language, time, currency and keyboard
Wait for some time and then a Install Windows screen will be appeared. Select the language to which you want to install Windows 7 operating system. Later select the time and currency format. At last, you have to select the keyboard. Now, press the Next button. It looks like the following figure.
Install now button window will be appeared and click that button to start the installation of Windows 7.
You will see the message Setup is starting.... It means, the installation of Windows 7 is started.
License terms aggrement
- Click on the check-box I agree the license terms to agree Microsoft software license terms and to install Windows 7 on your PC.
- Click on the Next button.
Installation method selection
You can install Windows 7 by upgrading a newer version of Windows or by installing a new copy of Windows. I prefer the second choice. But if you have many programs on installed, then you may use the first method.
Installation location selecton
It's time to select the location of your hard drive to install Windows 7. If your hard drive is a brand new there will be no partition. You may create several partition and then select any partition to install Windows 7. After selecting partition, click on the Next button.
The installation of Windows 7 will be started. It will do the following tasks one by one:
- Copying Windows files
- Expanding Windows files
- Installing features
- Installing updates
- Completing installation
Before finishing the above steps, your PC will be restarted several times. You don't need to do anything until you see the follwoing screen.
Now, you will see the message Setup is checking video performance. Windows 7 will automatically adjust the video performance.
Creating user name and computer name
- Choose an user name. The user name will be used to use the computer.
- Type your computer name. Computer name will help to distinguish your PC on the network.
- Click Next button to advance.
- Give a password of your PC in the Type o password text box which helps protect your user account from unwanted users.
- You have to retype your password. This password must be same as the previous entered password. If don't match, you will see an error message.
- Type a password hint field helps you to remember your password if you forget your password. I always recommend not to fill up this field.
- After doing the above steps, click on Next button.
Product key installation
- Take you have to insert the product key of Windows 7. You can find it on a label included with the package that came with your copy of Windows. Sometimes, the label might also be on computer case. Just find it and type it in the PRODUCT KEY box.
- Click on the Next button to move forward.
Choosing the form of installation
- You will see the message Help protect your computer and improve Windows automatically. I recommended to the first one i.e. Use recommended settings. If you do this all things will be updated and installed. You may update later. Then you can select Ask me later.
Time settings and network settings
- Set your time and date settings.
- Select your computer's current location. I prefer to select Public network. It will help you easy installation. Later you can set up your network easily.
Defining your PC location
- Your computer may be connected to a network. So, Windows will try to apply the current networ5k settings based on network's location.
- Very soon Windows will finished installing everything and you will see the screen with the message Windows is finalizing your settings.
Opening the desktop
- Now, wait for a few minutes and you will see that the desktop of Windows 7 is in front of you.
By following the above steps, you can easily install Windows 7 on your PC. I try my best to explain all the installation steps of Windows 7. If you face any problem or if you don't understand any point then please tell me in the comment section. I will try my best to solve your problems.
© Written by rancidTaste
More by this Author
A list of default usernames and passwords for CISCO routers.
Most of the IT farm's job interview or written exam has at least one question regarding OSI or TCP/IP model. Some questions of this topic are presented here with very concise answers. All these questions are very...
- 5How to Reset/Remove/Bypass a BIOS or CMOS Password? : A Complete Guide to Reset/Remove/Bypass BIOS or CMOS Password
User level passwords are used to restrict unauthorized access of a computer. BIOS or CMOS passwords are used to prevent access to BIOS settings or to prevent PC from booting. Thus BIOS passwords are used to add or...