Working with WordPad
Working With WordPad
Typing, Saving, Editing and Formatting a WordPad Document
Click here if you have missed the Introduction to WordPad. It is important you start from the beginning to have a good starting point.
We have already covered the introduction to WordPad. In this tutorial we are going to have a look at how we can work with WordPad and achieve our goals. This lesson will involve typing and formatting a document using WordPad. We will also look at how we can edit a document and finally save it for future reference.
When typing in WordPad, you don’t have to press the enter key to go to the next line. The program will do so for you. You are only supposed to enter when going to a new paragraph or after a heading when you want to start a new paragraph.
The Enter Key
Before You Start Typing on WordPad
Before you start typing, it is good you study your keyboard well. They keyboard is easy to use, though at first the keys might appear like they are arranged in a haphazard way, you will get used to the layout. The most important keys to note are the:-
- Enter key – You will be using it when starting a new paragraph.
- Space bar – You will be using it to create space between words. We press it only once. There are those of you fond of pressing it two or three times and that is not the way of doing things here.
- The backspace key – This is for erasing or deleting characters and allow me to say this, backwards after where the cursor is.
- Delete key – It is also for deleting or erasing. Many people don’t know how to use it. It deletes characters in front of the blinking cursor. It is also good for deleting highlighted objects for instance pictures, folders among others.
The best way to type fast is to do it without formatting or editing. Once you are through typing, edit your document and then format it.
Starting WordPad Lesson
Launching WordPad Using Run
- Open WordPad by going to start, all programs, accessories, WordPad. You can also search it using the run option by simply typing WordPad and clicking okay.
- After it opens, click on file
- Click on save as
- In the dialog box that appears, select where you want to save your file, you can save it on the desktop or in my document (usually the default location)
- At the bottom of the dialog box, indicate the name of the file and then click on save.
We have done this to make sure that whatever you will type, will not get lost. Now it is time to type something. You can type two paragraphs each with three sentences or more. Once you are done typing, click on file, then click on save. The changes you have made (whatever you have typed will be saved). You can also make use of the shortcut keys Ctrl + S.
Doing Your Edits on WordPad
After typing, you should go through your document looking for typos and grammar. Unfortunately, WordPad lacks a very important tool for grammar and spell checking. So you will have to do it manually.
Formatting your document
This is the funny part of any word processor; it is so interesting and enjoyable. When formatting a document, you change things like:-
1. Font – it defines a specific typeface.
2. Font style – defines the style of the font, it can be regular, italic, bold or bold italic.
3. Size – this defines how large your characters will be.
4. Effects – you can use this option for creating a strikeout or for underlining your work.
5. Colour – you use this option to select the colour you want.
Procedure For Formatting Using WordPad
Highlight or select the portion you want to format. To highlight for example the heading, click at the beginning, hold on your mouse button and drag towards the end of the heading. Don’t release the mouse button before you reach the end.
- After selecting the text to be formatted, click on the menu format.
- Clink on font, a dialog box appear where you are going to select the font, font style, size, effects and colour.
- After selecting what you want, click on okay.
If you have done it correctly, you will get a well formatted document. Once you get used to the format font option, you can start practicing on the format toolbar.
This lesson is good for a beginner and before we check more important features, make sure you are conversant with what we have done so far.
Have you ever used WordPad?See results without voting
© 2012 Patrick Kamau
More by this Author
For beginners, it is important to know how to make use of the format menu of Microsoft Office Word 2003. It helps us to format documents we type in MS Word to achieve the desired effects.
When you are almost done with your document, it is important to do some reviewing like checking spelling and grammar. This and other useful commands are found on the Review Tab of Microsoft Word 2007
A bus is a common pathway through which information is transmitted from one component to another. This pathway is used for communication and can be established between two or more computer components
No comments yet.