Working With WordPad; What You Need To Know
Working With WordPad; What You Need To Know
Before continuing, make sure you have read the previous part, Working with WordPad to get more insights.
When working with most of the computer programs, you need to be very conversant with the menu bar. Once you are conversant with it, you can be able to achieve a lot. WordPad menu bar consists of the following menus:-
The File Menu of WordPad
The menu is used for functions like creating a new document, opening an already saved document, saving a document, printing and page set up. For example to save a document for the first time, click on file save as, a dialog box appears where you will select save in – this is the location you want to save your document.
This could be on my documents, desktop or my computer where you will select perhaps a removable storage device. After selecting the location, remember to indicate the name of your file down where it is written file name.
Note: When you create a new document, the first thing you should do is to save it. Then as you keep typing or making new changes, you should keep on saving the changes you are making.
This can be done by clicking on file save, clicking save icon on the tool bar, or alternatively, pressing Ctrl and S key simultaneously on your keyboard – a very important and easy to use shortcut. What new computer users don’t understand is, failure to save your file, if power goes off, it will be lost.
The Edit Menu of WordPad
File Menu of WordPad
The edit menu has a number of important tools like the:-
- Undo – this is for undoing (reverting) an action, very good especially when you mess up. For example if you delete a line or paragraph accidentally, you don’t have to type it again, just go to edit and click undo.
- Cut – this is used for cutting or removing a character, word, paragraph etc and placing it on the clip board, it can be pasted somewhere else or if you don’t paste it, it will be lost.
- Copy – this copies the selection and puts it on the clip board from where then you click on where you want to paste and then click on edit and then select paste.
- Paste – this is for inserting (pasting) the clipboard contents to where you want them.
- Paste special – this will allow you to paste the clipboard contents with special options.
- Clear – this allows you to clear or erase a selection.
- Select all – this is for selecting all your text, you can also use keyboard shortcut ctrl + A.
- Find – for finding specific text or word.
- Replace – this will help you to replace a specific text or word with the desired one.
- Creating And Working With Folders Using Windows XP
Folders are very important in a computer because they help users to organize their files and other documents. Folders can be created in many areas of a computer. This article is a good guide on how to create and work with folders.
- Introduction to WordPad
This tutorial is an introduction to WordPad. It is very helpful to beginners who want to learn about word processors. Before indulging in Microsoft word, it would be good for the newbies to go through WordPad first.
The View Menu of WordPad
This is used for viewing (displaying or hiding the following)
- Format bar
- Status bar
You will use this to insert:-
- Date and time
- Object – you can insert different types of objects using this option.
This is used for formatting:-
- Bullet style
- And for setting tabs
This is your only teacher you can be able to access quickly. If you click on help topics, you will get a dialog whereby you can click on contents (displays all contents), index tab (index listing) or you can use the search option.
So, if you need more information than is here is this tutorial, just click on help or press F1 while WordPad is open and then type what you want to know about.
© 2012 Patrick Kamau
More by this Author
When you are almost done with your document, it is important to do some reviewing like checking spelling and grammar. This and other useful commands are found on the Review Tab of Microsoft Word 2007
For beginners, it is important to know how to make use of the format menu of Microsoft Office Word 2003. It helps us to format documents we type in MS Word to achieve the desired effects.
The motherboard includes components crucial to the functioning of a computer. Among them, the Central Processing Unit and Random Access Memory. Learn more about the parts and their functions.
No comments yet.