Working with the File Menu of Microsoft Office Excel 2003
The File Menu of Microsoft Office Excel 2003
The excel file menu consists of a number of useful commands that you can use to manipulate your document to your own liking and to be able to achieve the desired effects. Most of the useful commands are found on this file menu of Microsoft Office Excel 2003. Such commands are New, Open, Close, Save, Save As, Save as a Web Page, File Search, Permission, and Webpage Preview among others. Let us have a look at how these commands are used to achieve the desired effects. Note that you will still encounter these commands even when using higher versions of MS Office.
Commands Found on File Menu of Excel 2003
- New – this command is used for creating a new file (blank workbook).
- Open – this is for opening an existing file, where you select the file you want to use and click open.
- Close – this command is for closing the workbook you are working on without closing the Excel program.
- Save – this tool is for saving you file. Note that when you are saving your file for the first time, you should use the save as command.
Creating a New Workbook
Commands of File Menu in Excel 2003
- Save as – use this command to save a copy of your file.
- Save as a webpage – this command is for saving your excel file as a webpage.
- File search – this command is for searching for a file within your computer, you simply type your search text and specify where you want to search and then click go.
- Permission – this is for allowing or denying access to your file where you can; give unrestricted access, do not distribute, and restrict permission.
- Web page preview – this option allows you to preview your book the way it would appear on a web page.
Opening a Previously Saved Workbook
More Commands Found on File Menu of Excel 2003
- Page setup – use this command when you want to set up your page especially for printing purposes. There are four tabs to manipulate according to your needs; page, margins, header/footer and sheet. There is a print preview to make your work easier seeing how the document will appear once printed.
- Print area – this is an important tool for setting the print area. This is achieved by highlighting the area you want to print and then selecting print area. To clear the print area use the option clear print area.
- Print preview – use this tool to preview your page before sending it to a printer. What you will see is what you will get as your out put if you decide to print. The best thing with this tool is that it allows you to set or decide how you are going to print your page. Selecting setup, you will be able to set the page size, margins, header/footer and sheet design. You can also make use of the page break preview to decide where a page ends.
Page Set Up Option
The Print Command in Excel 2003
- Print – like in almost all programs, this is the command you use to produce a hard copy of your document through printing. You will be required to select the printer name on the drop down box if you have a number of printers installed. Set properties of the printer like page size, orientation and other options. Select print range where you can print all or specify the page range. You can also specify what to print for instance selection, active sheets, entire workbook and list. Remember to set the copies you want.
- Send to – this option is for sending or emailing your file to a recipient.
- Properties – you can use this option to check some properties of your file for instance type of file, location, size among others.
- Exit – you can guess the use of this tool, yes for closing your file and if you have not saved you will be prompted to save. This command quits your excel program.
I hope you have enjoyed and benefited from reading about working with the file Menu of Microsoft Office Excel 2003. For those who are using high versions like 2007, I do have such tutorials for you like the Introduction to Excel 2007.
Was the tutorial useful to you?See results without voting
© 2012 Patrick Kamau
More by this Author
Format menu of Excel 2003 helps us to format the cells and the entire worksheet. It is through this menu that you can be able to change things like font, font colour, and font size of Excel document.
The data Menu of Microsoft Office Excel 2003 contains some useful commands you need to know and use in your Excel jobs. Use this article to learn more about MS Excel 2003 data menu.
The motherboard includes components crucial to the functioning of a computer. Among them, the Central Processing Unit and Random Access Memory. Learn more about the parts and their functions.