Working with the Mailings Ribbon Tab of Microsoft Office Word 2007
Mailings Ribbon Tab of Microsoft Office 2007
The Mailings Ribbon Tab of Microsoft Office 2007 deals with mail merge. Mail merge is used when you want to create a set of documents for instance form letter that is sent to many recipients or when creating address labels. Your letter will usually contain a portion that is similar for all letters and another part like the name and address information that will be different for all letters. This unique information will come from entries in a data source.
Importance of Mail Merge
Mail merge is useful when a message needs to be sent to many people at once. It is a tool that will make your work easier eliminating the need for copying and pasting of some document parts. This program is commonly found in word processors. Advantages of of using the mail merge feature:-
- It will help you save a lot of time as you will be required to prepare only the main mail merge document which will be used for all the recipients.
- There is no need to incur huge cost with letter head
- There is no need to sign each letter
- You can be able to produce more friendly letter
- You will be able to make one letter and then produce as many as you want
Mail Merging Steps
You will follow these steps in order to create a mail merge:-
- Setting up the main document.
- Creating a Data Source.
- Adding the merge fields into main document.
- Merging the data with the main document.
- Previewing your finalized letter and making any necessary changes.
The Mail Merge Ribbon Tab
Envelopes – the envelopes command allows you to create and print envelopes. You will be able to set the recipients address and the return address.
Labels – if you want to create and print labels, use this command.
Start Mail Merge Group
Use this command to start a form letter which you intend to print or e-mail multiple times sending each copy to a different recipient. You will be able to insert fields such as name or address which Word will replace automatically with information from a database or contact list for each copy of the form letter you are creating.
How to Create a Mail Merge Using Microsoft Office Word 2007
The best way to start mail merge process is to use the wizard guide. Click on the start mail merge and select step by step mail merge wizard. The wizard guide is much easier to follow.
- The first stage is to select the document type you are creating; this could be letters, E-mail messages, envelopes, labels or directory.
- In stage two, you select the starting document. If for instance you indicated you want to create a letter, you will now specify how you will set up your letters. The options you have are to use the current document, start from a template, or start from existing document.
- The third stage is to select recipients. For selecting recipients, you will use an existing list; select from outlook contacts, or type a new list. If you do not have an existing list, click on type new list and click on create. A new address list dialog appears where you will click on customize columns to set your own columns by either adding or deleting the existing. Enter the address list and save upon completing.
Write Your Letter
- The fourth stage is to write your letter if you have not yet done so. Otherwise if you already have the letter, you need to insert recipient information to your letter. Click a location on your letter where you want any of these items to appear and then click on the item to use: Address block, greeting line, electronic postage, and more items.
- The next stage is to preview your letter. You can also change your recipient list or modify parts of your letter.
- This is the last stage where mail merge is ready to produce your letter. You can print your letter or edit individual letters. For print, your merged letters are sent to your default printer. You specify if you want to print all, current record, or from which letter to which. Editing the individual letters, your letters are merged to a new document and you can proceed to change them individually or print.
Inserting Addresses to The Main Letter
Conclusion on Merging Documents
The write and insert fields group, preview results group, and finish group have thus been covered in the above procedure. If you feel comfortable using them instead of the wizard, you should go ahead and use them.
Mail Merge Tool
Have you ever used the Mail Merge tool?See results without voting
© 2013 Patrick Kamau
More by this Author
This tutorial will teach you how to use the file menu found in Microsoft Word 2003. It is important to familiarize with the file menu so that you can be able to work with Ms Word comfortably.
For beginners, it is important to know how to make use of the format menu of Microsoft Office Word 2003. It helps us to format documents we type in MS Word to achieve the desired effects.
The motherboard includes components crucial to the functioning of a computer. Among them, the Central Processing Unit and Random Access Memory. Learn more about the parts and their functions.