Using Copy and Paste on a Windows DOS Command Line Prompt
Using the Magical COPY & PASTE in any DOS Prompt
This could be the shortest Hub I've ever written. It is actually a Windows Tip that I never knew existed. In a world were the DOS or command line prompt is almost non-existent, this tip may prove to be Golden.
My first experience with a personal computer was with a Radio Shack TRS-80. Five of these dinosaurs were sitting pretty on a corner away from the nerve wrecking and superfast 586 and Pentium I desktops. Thus I started my computer education with a command prompt.
Up to this day, I still have uses for the command or DOS prompt. And you my Dear reader... what would you do when your machine suddenly looses its graphical interface and your left with DOS window?
- Open your command prompt. This is found in your START menu or by typing "cmd" (without the quotes) into the run command.
- You'll know you did step 1 right if a black command window appears.
- Type 'dir/w' (w/o the quotes) into the command prompt
- Type 'www.amorsiko.com' (w/o the quotes) into the command prompt
- Now our goal is to copy the words 'www.amorsiko.com into the next command line or any other application like MS Word, Notepad.
- Right click on the command window.
- Choose 'Mark' from the options provided
- Highlight the words 'www.amorsiko.com' using the cursor and of course your mouse
- Then press the ENTER key
- To copy to the next command prompt, right click on the command window and choose PASTE
- To copy to any other application, use the standard Control + V or Ctrl V shortcut key.
Easy wasn't it. I bet you didn't know that? It really is not much use in real life but when one of your jobs is fixing computers especially dinosaur computers (oh lots here in our place still use one)... a little magic with command line goes a long long long way.
Oh yes... and one more thing if you ever did go to that url...
you know that www.amorsiko.com thing...
and you know what a leader board is... try clicking on some of those blue words... LOL. A little something for me for sharing this tip. HAHAHAHA!!! You choice actually. Quite nearing the payout...
Get another Desktop PC
- Linux vs. Windows: A Comparison For Real Humans Sans...
The Pros and Cons of the OS Wars for mortals who do not wear pocket protectors, propeller hats and taped-together hornrimmed glasses.
- PC Linux OS: An Alternative Operating System from Mi...
How many times are you waiting for Windows to stop doing something before you can start a program or finishing working in Word, Excel or Photoshop? Windows uses a lot of CPU power when it's performing...
- List of Simple DOS Commands
More by this Author
Superzoom Sony DSC-H50, it is probably the best superzoom prosumer bridge camera in the planet. Puts most DSLRs to shame. Know it better... right here... right now...
My main purpose here is to show users of the Sony DSC-H50 how to assemble or make an HDR image.
I hate Math. Kids hate math. Get inspiration from Calvin and Hobbes when teaching kids math. No pressure.
Any other DOS Tricks you can share?
No comments yet.