I think there are many ways and depending on your lifestyle some are more viable than others:
- If you work in a larger office building I'm sure there are people who live by you and you can carpool with.
- If you work close to home, a bike doesn't ever hurt, especially when the weather is nice, it's almost relaxing, and well it's healthy too
- If you work in the city, instead of driving in, take mass transit into the city
- take advantage of free shipping at online retailers, instead of going to the store, just order it online and receive free shipping
- If you are stuck driving by yourself to work and can not carpool, try and find a more efficient vehicle, a little bit goes a long way when you have a long commute (recently switched to a car that averages 25 mpg from an SUV that averaged 17 mpg, already saving $100 a month)
- Word burning furnace, it's a minor investment upfront, but well worth it
marymootoo, as much as that does make sense, unfortunately I don't believe that's a viable option for the future. I believe if people stopped smoking tobacco products then we would have just as much of free land to create bio fuel on as well, if we were able to use all the tobacco plantations. And at least we would be boycotting something that is unhealthy for us, the ozone and well just our financial stability as well.