For better performance, first clean the desktop.
1. Do not store files in the desktop. Also partition the hard disk into minimum of 3. So that system files can be stored in C drive, data and media files can be stored in D and E drive.
2. Whenever using external storage like pendrive, check for virus and then access it. Otherwise transmitting virus from external device to computer happen and it will affects the whole.
3. Do not store unwanted files in the computer. Once in three days, clean the system, defragment and delete the temporary files by
click START, Click RUN and type %temp%.
It will display all the temporary files. Delete and also from Recycle bin.
4. Antivirus is a must. So install antivirus which is licensed. Avoid using trial version as it will run or scan but it will not delete the files. So use proper antivirus and scan once in two days. Also update the antivirus database so that it will scan for new virus.
5. Keep the computer dust free. As the hard disk is very sensitive, dust will affect the hard disk.
6. Check for RAM capacity and have a minimum of 1 GB RAM. When facing any beep sound, remove the RAM and clean it with a eraser and place it again.
These are some basic things which we can do it our own and it help to keep the computer for good performance