You have a couple of choices to make.
1. Get another cell phone and just get a Data Only plan Most cell companies offer this as an option, they just don't advertise that you are not required to buy a minute plan. You can then download Skype/Vonage/TextPlus and a few other App's that let you make phone calls to other users of the same service, and sometimes for free. My whole family knows how to reach me if they want to talk to me. Skype is a great service and in the near future Microsoft will be making Skype eve more easier to use.
2. Look into Sprint HomePhone Service Unlimited calling for $19.99
Verizon Wireless also offers HomePhone Connect Unlimited calling for $19.99
Europe might be extra
3. Xbox Live also offers Video calling, its great, fun and easy to use on your Xbox Live to make connections with friends and family all over the world
4. Google Voice is a great service to use. You can give out a number that will call your cell phone, without having to give out your real number, and you can use it to make international calls
Here are some things you can do to get started with Google Voice:
Read transcriptions of voicemails.
Customize which phones ring.
Personalize greetings for different callers.
Make cheap international calls.
Forward SMS to email.
Share voicemails with friends. »
Block unwanted callers.
Screen callers before answering.
Access the mobile app on your phone.
Conference call with co-workers.
5. If all that fails, good ole fashion snail mail works, and it could save the post office. :-)