Electro-Denizen profile image 87

Why do LED spots have a dedicated transformer each?

Though I understand the need to have a power supply that can produce steady low wattage for LED bulbs, which means replacing those units attached to halogen spots, I don't really understand why each spot has its own power supply. Why not rig up a large power supply capable of supplying enough juice for 5 bulbs? (whether they be halogen or LED, with appropriate supply). Is it a case of, if the power supply breaks down, all bulbs wouldn't function, so instead have a transformer for each light? Or is there some other reason for having a transformer for each ceiling light?

Brandon E Newman profile image79

Brandon E Newman says

• Electro-Denizen profile image

Electro-Denizen 3 years ago

You understand me correctly. Further research has lead me to get the principle of the unwavering voltage. If all LEDs were attached to 1 power supply, if one of these LEDs failed, the transformer would peak momentarily and possibly damage the others.