The easy guide to WordPress installation in your C Panel account.
With the advent of WordPress, making a website has become as easy at counting 1-2-3. For those of you who are not familiar with this term let me tell you that WordPress is a platform where you can publish your blog or website for free. However, people often get confused between wordpress.com and wordpress.org. The main difference between the two is the domain and the hosting. Wordpress.com allows you to publish your blog or site without having to purchase a domain name. Moreover your files are hosted on the site itself. On the other hand, wordpress.org is a platform where you need to have a domain name and web hosting of your own. However, this is very limited information. You can always search for more on wordpress in your favorite search engine.
What do you think?
Which blogging platform do you prefer?See results without voting
Installing WordPress with Fantastico
Let us now focus on the installation of WordPress on your domain.
Note:- This is a rough guide on installing wordpress.org on your hosting
1. Assuming that you already have your own hosting and domain name, you can login into your c panel account.
2. Almost every web-host provides a fantastico installer to install various scripts on your hosting account. Locate the icon in your account and click on it.
3. On the next screen choose WordPress and select new installation. Follow the instructions on the next screen. You will be required to enter details such as username, password, blog name, description and of course the domain on which you wish to install WordPress. (This is important if you have multiple domain in your account)
4. You will be notified when installation is complete and then you can login to your newly installed wordpress blog. Usually the link will be something like http://www.yoursite.com/(folder if any)/wp-admin/
5. You can then customize your blog further by adding plugins and themes of your choice.
Installing Wordpress in Cpanel
Installing WordPress the hard way
However, not every hosting service provides a fantastico installer in Cpanel. In such cases you can install wordpress the hard way. With hard way I mean that you will have to out in some hard work to install wordpress on your domain. The steps are listed below-
1. Download the wordpress script from http://www.wordpress.org.
2. Login to your c panel account. We will need to create a database for our WordPress script. To do that, select the MySQL databases option from your cpanel account.
3. Create a new database with your desired name. Now you will need to create a user. Choose a name for the user and click create.
4. Next you need to add this user to your newly created database. Make sure that you select the “All privileges” option while adding the user to the database.
5. Once this is done you need to upload your WordPress script to your hosting account. You can make use of an ftp client or you can use the file manager option in your cpanel account.
6. Once this is done you need to visit http://www.yoursite.com/wp-admin/install.php and follow the rest of the instructions.
7. You will need to enter your database name, username and password and rest of the details such as blog name, description etc. Once wordpress is installed you will be redirected to the login screen.
I agree that these are vague instructions but the steps will differ slightly for each web-host. However, the installation for most parts will remain the same. You can use this as a general guide to install WordPress on your domain.
A hosting account.
A domain name
WordPress installation script ( if your hosting does not provide fantastico)
No comments yet.