MyFreeCopyRight.com has deleted all all accounts from before June 2012

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (25 posts)
  1. MyWebs profile image78
    MyWebsposted 11 years ago

After noticing a bunch of broken links appearing on my hubs I traced the problem to where I link to MyFreeCopyRight.com on each of my hubs. When I tried to login to MFC it said I didn't have an account at all. Next I tried to email the website several times and have as of yet to receive a response.

So today I came across two articles about the website. One that was created when the website was new and has a comment by the what is now the old owner.  The last comment there caught my eye: http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2007/12/ … ification/ Which links to this: http://forums.vindy.com/read.php?1,544671

What this last article describes is exactly my own experience too. So it would appear that MFC has went from being a helpful legitimate website to a very questionable one under the new owners and possibly a scam!

I have a hub that I wrote at the request of another hubber that explains how to use this website. I'm either going to delete it or more likely change the text to link to the two articles above as a word of warning to new users and describe how they deleted all old accounts and failed to respond to any of my emails about my account deletion.

I hope this posting here is helpful to others who may also use MFC

1. ananceleste profile image59
      anancelesteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just noticed that my account disappeared. I am so tired of this . First they (other sites) copy the articles, then someone recommends services like this one , and this happens.

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I tweeted your OP. Hopefully others will post what they know. smile

3. Deborah Brooks profile image60
      Deborah Brooksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh My this is awful. you can trust anyone.. thanks for letting us know about it.. I will share this too.
      Debbie

1. CWanamaker profile image94
        CWanamakerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah you can't trust anyone these days...not sure the service would have ever helped prevent plagiarism but at least Mr. Whittaker's original site was a great idea when he created it.

4. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear for all that used the service. sad

I've never used it.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Seems like it was kind of pointless.

1. Cagsil profile image71
          Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't see in any reason to use it. hmm

5. profile image52
      karlkriegerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

hoy descubri que mi cuenta en MyFreeCopyRight.com aa sido eliminada...mi sorpresa me lleve cuando intente entrar para registras mis produciones...no se el motivo..espero que me den una noticia para poder recuperarla

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

The only legitimate copyright site is the U.S. copyright office (for U.S. stuff, ect.). All the rest are either scams or people who want to feel important and helpful but don't understand that mailing yourself a copy of your work and not opening the envelope (or any electronic or web variation thereof which is what the best of these sites is selling you) does NOT help you protect your work in any way. It never has, and it never will. And I'm treating that second group much more politely than they really deserve.

Your work is copyrighted when you write it. If you want to register it with the U.S. copyright office, you do get a few additional benefits if it comes to a lawsuit. That's it.

Everything else is a waste of time. At best. At worst you are giving your files to people who will post on torrent sites, publish as ebooks under pen names and all sorts of other stuff.

MyWebsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I covered some of what you mention in my hub. The first part of my hub links to Copyright.gov and explains how copyright law works.

I used to feel that using a service like this would accomplish a few things like for one prove date the article was originally published. Possibly discourage thieves by showing you understand copyright law and have taken steps to prove your the owner.

Now I'm afraid this site under the new owners has turned into a scam site and wanted to warn others. I'm updating my hub to add all I know about what's happened to discourage anyone from using MFC.

1. classicalgeek profile image82
        classicalgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you need the date an article was originally published, submit it at the Internet Archive (www.archive.org). This will not be indexed by the search engines, and therefore will not be duplicate, but you can always type in the web address of the article and it will show the date crawled. If you don't do anything, it usually shows up in the Internet Archive within a month of being posted in any case.

MyWebsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The date that Archive 'crawled' a hub doesn't correlate to the published date. Last time I looked around that site they only update their information about once every 6 months.

I think it would help a some if HP would insert the date a hub was published in such a way that it can't be edited. They have recently started showing when a hub was last updated, why not published date too?

1. classicalgeek profile image82
            classicalgeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you submit it manually it will be crawled on that date (or maybe the next day).

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

From: http://forums.vindy.com/read.php?1,544671 (that MyWebs mentioned)

MyFreeCopyright.com Is Now An Official Scam
    Posted by: HNNEWS (IP Logged)
    Date: July 18, 2012 02:02PM

For Immediate Release from HudsonNet NewsWires Copyright July 18th, 2012 (Redistribution allowed with HNNEWS Attribution)

MyFreeCopyright.com Is Now An Official Scam

by Dirk Bannon

When Matthew Whittaker launched MyFreeCopyright.com in 2006, many people questioned whether the service was a scam. Legally, the service is not linked to any government copyright office. What it was designed to do was to prove that a person had created a specific work on a specific date and time, by digitally registering that work. Since there was nothing illegal about what the service was, and it did that service well, it became popular with thousands of bloggers, web site developers, artists and others creating intellectual property that they wanted proof of creation for.

Now, all that has changed. In May of this year, six years and one month after he created it, Matthew Whittaker sold the web site and it appears that it is now owned by one Regge Chan in Hong Kong. By June, people began to talk about the site being down and then once it was back up, complaints began to slowly trickle out that people had their accounts deleted. The first assumption was that their accounts had been hacked, however, one account holder, who has asked to remain anonymous, suspected that this wasn't the work of hackers. He began his own investigation and found that systematically, accounts were deleted, emails to the service were going unanswered and all the works associated with deleted accounts had been removed from the site - all without warning.

Then a tweet, that Twitter has stopped showing, confirmed his suspicions:

"Looks like myfreecopyright has wiped its accounts clean and started over..."

It seems like it all began with Corey who posted on June 19, at Yahoo Answers that he couldn't access MyFreeCopyright.com.

"Can anyone access this site? I keep coming up with ""Ruby (Rack) application could not be started'"

[answers.yahoo.com]

July 5 2012 Sybille Sterk reports on her blog [www.redbubble.com] that she can't log into her account and that one of her copyrights has been removed without permission. She asks on her blog "Anybody have the same problems? Please let me know."

LoreLeft27 responded with "hey guess what ive discovered they've removed all my works and a whole bunch of others"

Linda Lee chimed in with "Hi Sybille, have they responded to any of your emails yet? I tried unsuccessfully to sign into the site tonight."

July 9th, Brassy reports on JRobin Whitley's blog [www.redbubble.com]
    "I copyrighted a lot of my writing with My Free Copyright. I tried to log in recently and they don’t recognise me. They say I’m not registered. I’m afraid all my writing has no copyright now. As a struggling writer I couldn’t afford to pay out loads for copyrighting. I don’t know what to do. They haven’t replied to my emails".

July 12 on twitter, KazeLoon tweets someone has "HACKED INTO MY ACCOUNT AT [www.myfreecopyright.com] AND DELETED ALL MY COPYRIGHT DATA"

On July 16th, WorldNet NewsWires, from their twitter handle @WNNWs, gets involved by warning people to check their accounts because they may be gone. Soon after, it became apparent that the first tweet was true - MyFreeCopyright had closed out all accounts from before June 2012.

It appears that Regge Chan is now soliciting for more works to be registered. What he intends to do with the information he gets is unknown. The fact, that he would delete the works and accounts of previous users of the site, shows that he cares not one whit about those who his site is supposed to serve. Furthermore, the fact that the site is now owned and run from a country with a reputation for rampant piracy and theft of intellectual property, means that anyone desiring to protect their works should avoid MyFreeCopyright.com like the plague.

At the time this piece was being edited, it was discovered that all pages for each work, that had been registered before the sale of MyFreeCopyright.com, are now being changed to go to the main web site page. Try this for example: myfreecopyright.com/registered_mcn/WAX9A-JD956-R5E57.
    [www.myfreecopyright.com] . That URL used to go to the registration page for that artist's work and after the sale, that page said that the copyrighted work had been removed. Now it goes to the main web site instead. This indicates that there is a systematic effort on the part of Regge to wipe clean all references to the work ever having been registered with MyFreeCopyright.com.

Our anonymous source is determined to investigate Mr. Chan and expose what he is doing and why, and has sworn to do everything allowed by law (not just legal) to exact vengeance for what he feels has been a flagrant disregard for people who entrusted their hard work to the site that Chan purchased. This would include the destruction of the site's viability as a commercial concern by destroying its name and reputation, as well as that of Regge Chan. One way this could be done easily is if everyone who ever registered with MyFreeCopyright.com were to file a complaint at the Better Business Bureau. With thousands of potential victims, this would put MyFreecopyright and Regge Chan into the worse business category that the BBB has. This could hinder him from doing any other kind of business in the U.S.

Regge Chan is listed as having the email address of ass_ain98@hotmail.com. He is listed as both the administrative contact as well as the technical contact. He has the physical address of Floor 11 Flat A 19 Bonmah Road Hong Kong, with the telephone number of +852.853.28842971 and the Fax +852.6565321170. The domain servers are listed in order: NS1.P25.DYNECT.NET NS2.P25.DYNECT.NET. GoDaddy.com is the domain name registrar. [www.whois.com]

While Matthew Whittaker may not have created MyFreeCopyright.com as a scam, there is no doubt that now, that it is in the hands of Regge Chan, it has become a big one - with thousands of unwitting victims.

4. ngureco profile image79
    ngurecoposted 11 years ago

Whilst every original work is automatically under copyright protection from the moment of creation, I would want to believe the business of issuing copyrights in US is the monopoly of the US Copyright Office and not every other Dick and Harry on the internet.

5. CloudExplorer profile image77
    CloudExplorerposted 11 years ago

Yes indeed this is terrible, and I haven't ever looked to get a copyright, but I hope things work out for you with it all. Yikes the web is going haywire, or should I say has always been haywire. I'm not surprised one bit, and I never trust in anything web related, and I simply pray as I step lightly through it all. Good luck! with things going better for you digitally in the future.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
      Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The web isn't going haywire. This isn't some new internet thing. This is the age old: There's a sucker born every minute. Fear, ignorance and laziness are the tools of charlatan and the snake oil salesman. Always have been, always will be.

We all fall for something now and again. All you can do when you get burned is learn from it. At least the burn in this case probably isn't really going to hurt anyone very much. Maybe egos, but that's about it.

6. CloudExplorer profile image77

Haywire is stating it lightly then, its going banana's, is that better for you Shades, come on Sir or Maam, have a sense of humor here, this is a place to have fun as well, yikes, is everyone here in these forums this serious, come on now. Whats the deal with that?
    Cause if so I may not play these sorts of forum games, and will stick to hub writing and sharing nicely in other ways, I mean what is it with certain folks these days, wow!

I guess you and I are totally missing one another's intent there. I was simply commenting on what I thought was a statement about this incident being evidence of something significant to the Internet. I looked back through your post again, but I still don't see the joke, so I guess I just missed it and thought you were commenting on the post at face value. My intent was not in anyway to make you feel chastened or attacked, I assure you.

1. CloudExplorer profile image77
        CloudExplorerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank for the cool response, I truly accept your positive feedback it was well taken by me. You might just be one of the cool ones after all. Cool beans Shades.

Cool beans, indeed. big_smile

7. CloudExplorer profile image77

Hi, Shades my name is Mike, and maybe we can be friends on hubpages, that would be cool actually.

these are some words of sound advice from a newbie here on hubpages, its not good to read to deeply into things online, for all it is just words, well actually when people get abusive with it all, it might just get real, but other then that its better to just relax, take a breather, and enjoy the written medicine others put out at times, you know.

My purpose on hubpages is to have a great time with folks, and I know its a place to meet some really cool people from all around the world as I already have, and so if we can digitally hand shake one another that would be cool with me, and maybe I can visit your side of the globe (your profile), and even give a bunch of your hubs a good look. Why not right!

8. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

I used to use the service, but I haven't in a couple of months. I just went and checked and my account as well as all my copyrights is gone as well.

"Regge Chan is listed as having the email address of ass_ain98@hotmail.com."

He chose the right email address, he's definitely an ass.

On the bright side of this, I can clear out my email box. lol

9. profile image53
    ICantHangposted 11 years ago

Yep--In just learned today that all my music and lyrics "copyrighted" at MyFreeCopyright.com since I set up account October 1, 2011 is missing.  Tried to go in this morning and reply came back saying my email address was UNKNOWN.  Last entry was May 13, 2012.  I reregistered with the same email address; once in, all of my works are unfounded.  No email of dismissal sent; nothing.  I screenshot October 1, 2011 first email and the one sent me today and have sent two emails to MFC.com with both welcoming emails attached questioning where's my work.  Now that you all have said your inquiry emails have gone unanswered and I know mine the same, I HOPE they deleted my account, rather than stole all my work!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)