jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Is Google becoming the "mind of God"

1. veritorogue profile image60
    veritorogueposted 4 years ago via iphone

I'm sitting besides my son in the PICU after a scary 911 morning and his immediate future is uncertain. As I activated my Pandora to play him some kid's songs a banner ad for a funeral home popped up on Pandora? Did this happen because we are in the hospital PICU and the Google algorithms assume we may need funeral services soon? Has Google become too insidious and maybe even sadistic? Has the social contract changed to incorporate constant surveillance and isn't Google more powerful than any government because of their domination of the Internet? Is Google on the verge of omnipotence over humanity?  Is it possible to limit Google.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image83
      AshtonFireflyposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm guessing it was probably coincidence...jmo

1. veritorogue profile image60
        veritorogueposted 4 years ago in reply to this

What I know about Google ads is that they are directed purposefully. I suspect that the banner ad could be due to posts about my son's condition on FB or because I read my wife's blog about him but it is still creepy. Rydersjourney2009.blogspot.com

2. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 4 years ago

Google uses what is called targeted ads, such as the interests of those who view your  site or blog, the content on your blog or site. I rarely see ads based on my content.  A lot of times, the ads represent things I may have researched.