jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)

My missing "W" and "3" and "."

1. Charles James profile image84
    Charles Jamesposted 4 years ago

My puter and I go back a while. The last few days the puter will not recognise W and will not give me "3" or "."  .I have had to borrow a laptop to raise this query.

Any suggestions?

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

Clean the keyboard?  Normally this is the loss of contact between the key and the contact underneath. A squirt of compressed air can help.

3. Nesbyte profile image86
    Nesbyteposted 4 years ago

It sounds like the keyboard's broken. The only practical solution is to take it to a computer repair shop.

4. psycheskinner profile image80

Or just get a new keyboard if it is not an integrated part.

5. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

Call me a fool, but at one point I actually unscrewed the keyboard top from the bottom, dumped all the crumbs and dust into the trash, sprayed both sides with windex, rinsed it with cool water in the sink and set it out in the sun to dry. I had spilled a glass of wine on it a few weeks before and cleaned as much of that up as I could, but the keys started sticking after that. My cleaning job fixed everything! I don't recomment this unless you are about to throw your keyboard in the trash. I had nothing to lose; my keyboard was headed for the dumpster, so I said WTH and it worked like a charm.

6. psycheskinner profile image80

You can completely clean an unplugged keyboard in a mild cleaning solution.  This is safe so long as it is *completely* dry before being plugged in again.

7. Charles James profile image84
    Charles Jamesposted 4 years ago

It was the keyboard. I fitted a different keyboard and obtained "W3." without difficulty.
    Many many thanks

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
      paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Apparently you have a secret admirer. You ain't seen nothing yet. big_smile

http://now.msn.com/office-prank-involve … d-keyboard

1. Charles James profile image84
        Charles Jamesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Wow! A use for redundant keyboards!

working