jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

The Internet is killing your memory

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

http://now.msn.com/author-michael-s-mal … our-memory

I was going to make a comment here...

1. Hollie Thomas profile image61
      Hollie Thomasposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I know I read it, but I just can't rem

2. 61
    chatroomsposted 4 years ago

Wow, never thought about it that way. I wonder if more research on that area will help us determine if its true that the new advances in technology is killing our memory lol.

3. Greekgeek profile image99
    Greekgeekposted 4 years ago

I think I recall Socrates telling Phaedrus that when he whipped out a written copy of a friend's speech.

Only in that case, it was the invention of writing that was killing people's memories.

Which, in fact, it did. But it made a lot of breakthroughs possible, because people could work out more complicated things in writing (like complex math, engineering, and supply management) then communicate and preserve what they knew.

4. planetway profile image74
    planetwayposted 4 years ago

One of the ironies of this age is that we are flooded with information, but most of it is trivial. At the same time, this great "distract-o-meter" is taking up a lot of our natural hard drives, so apparently our brains are start to atrophy more quickly. So we end up remembering snippets of superficial nonsense but often can't recall more important matters because we no longer train our minds to remember. Also, the idea that the "correct" answer is on Wikipedia makes for some highly subjective and impoverished interpretations of truth. It's no wonder there's a lack of critical thinking out there.

5. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 4 years ago

I have always had a selective internal memory, or I remember a lot, but only when my memory wants to give it to me. It has a personality of its own. Google is my external memory, for all those details I don't want to clog up my recall with. Couldn't write without it. Google is God.