jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Mandatory reading for website development.

1. Reality Bytes profile image93
    Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago

I have decided to educate myself as to how to set up and operate my own domain.  I should be able to get one up and running in the next few weeks.  I am looking for suggestions on the best places on the web to pursue this education.  Where is the best advice available on this subject?

Thank you in advance.

1. sunforged profile image68
      sunforgedposted 4 years ago in reply to this

There are videos here that cover ever aspect from domain management to cpanel controls.

Feel free to stick questions you have up here and I will chime in when i swing by

1. Reality Bytes profile image93
        Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, I went through the videos and bookmarked the page.

I am watching through the html tutorials here,  http://www.w3schools.com They allow me to go in and change html, though I am not sure how much HTML is necessary when setting up a domain?

I do appreciate your assistance, and your kindness.  smile

1. sunforged profile image68
          sunforgedposted 4 years ago in reply to this

"Setting up a domain"only requires a 2 minute input of information into your DNS settings at your domain registrar.

Your Registrar needs to be aware of "what" the domain is supposed to be showing (where is your server/host)

so ZERO html is required when setting up a domain.

Your actual website on the other hand will require HTML if you code it by hand.

Something like 50% of all websites run on the Wordpress CMS - most others are built on other pre-built templates or CMS - Joomla, Drupal, Blogger, Expression Engine etc.

W3 is an AWESOME resource - but starting your first site where your main concern is publishing writing does not require you to recreate the wheel and build using html from scratch.

100% you probably should just be looking into using Wordpress and be up and started in under ten minutes

2. jacharless profile image82
      jacharlessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

If your comp is designed for it, you could host your own domain by simply purchasing the domain name and pointing the namespace to your computers IP Address. Problematic is many local internet providers change the hub location, which changes your IP and do not come Apache ready.

Most hosting companies offer domain purchase, hosting {grid, cloud/VPS and dedicated} server packages.
      Once activated, they have client control panels to upload or install different templates or frameworks to build a responsive site. Else you can use a third-party FTP to download-upload items to edit.
      But, as Josh said, if going for a UCG site, Wordpress is a very simple way to get going.

I prefer neither Wordpress, Dolphin, Joomla or Drupal for CMS controls, and am too young in Python or Ruby to give you any kind of feedback there. But, for straight-up HTML {4/5}, PHP etc, anything I can do to help, feel free.

also check out:
      Code School/ as well as W3C. Great resources.