Choosing Domains for Your Subjects

1. WhatTheHub profile image60
    WhatTheHubposted 3 years ago

I was wondering, if you decide to get your OWN domain for a wordpress blog topic.  How specific to you make it?

For instance, would you spend money on a bunch of different types of "dance"

Belly Dancing

Or just have a general "dancing" blog to include them all?  Instead of spending money on each domain that is?

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Very good question.

Google wants "authority" sites these days.   I know several internet entrepreneurs and they're all slashing the number of websites and blogs they maintain - some right down to the point where they have only one left!  You need to pick a domain name that's fairly broad, though - because if you're aiming to create a large site, you need to be confident you'll have enough material to keep it supplied.   The narrower your topic, the quicker you're going to run out of things to say about it - and that's not good!

Your example is highly relevant to me, as it happens.   My first website was an Australian belly dance site (this was five years ago).  I added a section for shopping, a section on DVD reviews, a section on Tribal.  I was advised to split it into four separate sites, with domain names to match (belly dance bazaar, belly dance DVD reviews etc).   I then expanded into separate sites for different dance genres. 

That worked well for a while.  However, I've just finished rolling all my belly dance sites back into one with the aim of creating an "authority" site.   And more than one expert has told me I'm not going far enough - I should be consolidating ALL my dance sites into one.

I think that for some subjects, that advice would be correct.  For dance, I'm not so sure - because a ballet dancer won't trust the advice of a general dance site as much as she'll trust a specialized ballet site.  So I think it depends on your subject.