jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Urine-powered generator! Real device!

1. A Thousand Words profile image80
    A Thousand Wordsposted 4 years ago

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/ur … 18329.html

So, four African girls in Nigeria have created a generator that creates energy that lasts for 6 hours with one liter of urine! I know you're first thought is probably "gross!" But it's pretty cool.

How does it work?

"•Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which separates out the hydrogen.
    •The hydrogen goes into a water filter for purification, which then gets pushed into the gas cylinder.
    •The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.
    •This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator."

What are your thoughts??

1. Quilligrapher profile image90
      Quilligrapherposted 4 years ago in reply to this

A very interesting post, ATW. I wonder about the cost per kilowatt and if it is truly efficient.
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6919429.jpg

2. paradigmsearch profile image85
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

I must be missing something here... Why would urine be better than plain water?

A Thousand Wordsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

LoL. Point taken. But it's still a fun fact.

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Actually, they're not stupid over there. So there has to be a legitimate reason. Water shortage? smile

3. Healthy Pursuits profile image89
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 4 years ago

I wrote a hub on uses of urine, and part of it talks about using Pee Power to make hydrogen cells. These girls are on track. It's great that we are not only considering biomass for energy, but bio waste for more than compost. 

What most people don't know is that urine isn't icky like feces is. It doesn't contain harmful bacteria unless you have some very specific diseases. It goes bad after a while because it's such a great fertilizer that when bacteria drifting in the air reach it, they go nuts and multiply like crazy.

And that's my pee lecture for the day big_smile

A Thousand Wordsposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm intrigued, I'll certainly be reading them! Thanks.

working