jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Why should Microsoft Buy Facebook.

1. netcrawl profile image61
    netcrawlposted 7 years ago

The inside story, why should Microsoft buy Facebook, what exactly Facebook got?The social networking supersite is currently the world's largest social network. Its generated tons of buzz in the blogosphere. should Microsoft move fast? and Google sneak attack on Facebook.

2. Junkster profile image59
    Junksterposted 7 years ago

I think the renewed interest Microsoft has in it's own Live brand means they wouldn't be interested in devouring facebook, plus facebook is not going to last forever, like myspace, there's always another one waiting in the wings to dominate for another few months.

Also why would Microsoft be looking to buy even more considering they've already bought in to the advertising deal with facebook and that's probably earning them little already.

The money isn't in a social network itself, it's the monetization, look at Twitter - insanely popular but there's no monetization there so they've hired a dedicated manager to develop some sort of cash-earning opportunity (a targetted Ad every five or ten tweets?)

So whilst it would certainly be a feather in microsoft's cap to own the social network du jour there's not much future in it for them.

3. Junkster profile image59
    Junksterposted 7 years ago

Monetization seems to be the big thing, Digg have now hired a former Yahoo exec to see how they can improve their income/worth

4. WHoArtNow profile image85
    WHoArtNowposted 7 years ago

Facebook isn't for sale, and I'm sure after reading some stuff about the original crew of Facebook, they wouldn't sell to M'soft anyway, there not fans.

1. Junkster profile image59
      Junksterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

They don't seem aversed to taking the microsoft advertisaing money though wink
      http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/pres … ookPR.mspx

5. WHoArtNow profile image85
    WHoArtNowposted 7 years ago

Lol, Who wouldn't take m'softs money for advertising! I would in a heart beat, mainly because you could probably charge them a decent amount!

6. baby carriers profile image59
    baby carriersposted 7 years ago

Yea... I don't think Facebook is selling anytime soon...

They've been holding out for quite some time.

Plus they haven't monetized very well yet, so they could sell for higher later if they figure out the monetization issue.

1. Junkster profile image59
      Junksterposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Monetization (spelling?) is the big buzz word in the Web 2.0 land at the moment, how much your start up can generate...they're all at it: Digg, Flickr, Facebook, Twitter.

I'd argue Flickr has it with their pro accounts but the others dont have much choice or room.  Maybe a paid ad-less version of facebook?  I'd pay, as well as being able to have increased privacy controls!

Flickr was brought up on a recent podcast I watch as being not being much of an earner for Yahoo! and yes WhoArtNow, I htink we'd all take the microsoft bucks if they came a knocking! lol