Google+ Pages and "Authorship"

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 11 years ago

I use several pen names in different niches online.  Of course I have a real name too smile and a G+ profile under that real name.  I really don't use it, but I'm reading more and more about how important it is to establish authorship through Google+.   

Apparently it's against TOS to have more than one G+ account.  It's also against TOS to have a fake name as your G+ name.  The solution is to have a G+ page for each pen name, but that really doesn't do anything to establish authorship.

I don't want my real name associated with my niche articles, and I don't want my niche articles associated with each other.  Honestly, I don't want to have anything to do with G+ at all, but it seems like writers who don't play the game are going to be left behind.  This really seems unfair, and like G is forcing writers to use their services or suffer the consequences.   

I can't image I'm the only HP writer with this issue.  What's the solution? Is there some other way G establishes authorship and authority, or are those who write under pen names basically going to be left out in the cold as Google continues to put weight on this "authorship" thing?

Or, is the whole authorship thing blown out of proportion?

2. swordsbane profile image60
    swordsbaneposted 11 years ago

It all depends on what Google authorship really does for you as a writer.  What are you getting out of it?

EricDockettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's really the crux of it.  Authorship seems to be moving from a cool way to get your search results distinguished by having a pretty picture of your smiling face next to them, to the "standard" by which G is going to determine how good your content is. 

I'd prefer not to get anything out of it, as long as the playing field is even.  My content ought to be judged on its own merits, not by whether or not I linked it to a social network.

3. Greekgeek profile image76
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

It's a dilemma many of us face. i'v been on the internet since long before Google existed, and I refuse to cede ownership of my online identity to Google or Facebook.

This comes at a price. It means that sooner or later, my content may sink in the SERPs because Google is going to use Google authorship as a bludgeon to force people play its game -- give your identity to us for safekeeping, or we'll rank your content lower, even if it dexerves to be ranked higher!

but no, that just makes me want ro dig my heels in and create better content to overcome the ranking disadvantage (it's not here yet, but Google's co-founder said in an interview that it's coming sooner or later),

I've actually written a hub on why Google's Real Names Policy is a bed of Procrustes so I won't belabor it here. But anyway, yeah, it's a problem, and I haven't found a solution. (Lucikily, I had one Google profile from a very old account that does NOT force me to participate in Google Plus, but I'm assuming that sooner or later it'll stop working for authorship. Plus it IS my real name, and I have a lot of other material associated with an online handle I've had since 2002 that is kept separate. Before Facebook started the "platforms owning and monetizing your identity" war, usernames used to be the way to maintain online privacy, by having one username for each subculture/interest/ommunity where you were active, thereby letting you be Trekkie, for example, without having to share every detail of your life with all fellow Trekkies -- only the details relevant to Trek fandom.)

I'm with you on the digging in the heels thing. I actually read your Hub earlier this morning as I was trying to work all of this out.   

Just to clarify: Did you suggest you established your authorship with an old (non-G+) Google profile?  I wasn't aware that was possible.

4. swordsbane profile image60
    swordsbaneposted 11 years ago

Well, for writing, as for celebrity, there isn't really any kind of BAD exposure.  Your writing WILL be judged on it's merits, never mind what Google says.  If you're looking to make money off your writing, then the only thing you can do is try to get what you write in front of the largest number of people.  That... unfortunately means social networks and forums.  Just be sure you read all the license agreements that deal with copyright infringement and whether they will claim ownership of your writing.  Everything else is really just personal preference.

5. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

I'm in the same situation as EricDockett. I'd really rather keep things separate and somewhat anonymous. Other than a little-used Pinterest account for this HP account only, I've never used social media or promoted my work in any way, and it has done just fine organically.

However, it sounds like Google may toss us aside if we don't play their game with their rules. I also wonder if this is the direction HP is heading, meaning at some point anyone without Google+ authorship will not get featured.

Yikes.  I didn't even think of that. I really hope HP doesn't move in that direction. I don't know how they would do it though.  Many of us have several accounts with significant content on them.  Would any account under a pen name suddenly be junked?  I can't imagine them doing that.  At least I hope not.  It would be a catastrophe.

No point worrying about I guess,.

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, I don't mean to alarm. I probably should have kept that to myself. I'm just nervous about that possibility, I guess.

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

You can have a Google profile for you pen name if you want.  I mean my other pen name is the "author" of my books. And this pen name is the "author" of my content online....

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't you have to fill in a first and last name?  I've thought about using it, but stopped when I saw you have to use your real name.  My pen name is my real name without my last name.
      I don't really want to add another social site to be involved with, but it does look like authorship is the next big thing with SERPS.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)