advice about SEO for self-created photoshop text images

1. Ethan Green profile image91
    Ethan Greenposted 3 years ago

Hi folks

I am looking for advice on the pros and cons of creating images using photoshop. I have a website which doesn't lend itself well to images, and so to break up the text I have been thinking to create plain images in photoshop and add some text to each one - relevant quotes, summaries of the text - that sort of thing.

My worry is that I don't know enough about image SEO to know if this is a potential problem. For example I know spammers use text on images to bypass email filters. So if you use similar images over and over, will you get flagged by google as a potential spammer?

Are you allowed to put the image text into the alt metadata as you would describe a normal image?

Can search engines tell if you use the same background colour and just text on images and thus punish you for duplicate content, even if the text is different on each image? I wouldn't want to randomly create different colour backgrounds etc just so they are somehow coded differently when saving the image.

Any advice about whether this can land you in google doo-doo or not would be great. And any general advice about the pros and cons of creating these kind of text images would be much appreciated.

Finally, as if I haven't asked enough already, any advice on using images like this as clickable links?

Thanks to anyone with the patience and knowledge to help me out on this one:-)

2. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 3 years ago

Using text images is a great way to highlight important info and break up lots of text. Users like anything that acts as a subheading or condenses lots of info into a short sentence because it means they don't have to read too much and it's your users you should really be thinking about.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using similar images across a whole website, but I would err away from using the same few images lots and lots of times.

The search engines aren't going to have issue with it so stop worrying! Just use the text in the image as the alt text.

As for using these images as clickable links I'd ask myself whether that would make sense to my visitors or not?