jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Deciding to Create my Own Website

1. Learning in Life profile image93
    Learning in Lifeposted 3 years ago

I have found a specific niche that I have been successful with on Hubpages. My best hub gets around 100 views per day and I could easily expand it into an entire blog. I am nervous to make the jump and I'm trying to decide if I could be just as successful with my own website. The exact match keyword gets 5400 searches per month according to the Google keyword tool. Has anyone made the leap to their own site? Should I?

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image81
      Kangaroo_Jaseposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Having a broad portfolio of work outside of Hubpages is a very good idea. When the Google Panda update occured in Feb 2011 alot of people whom had  only used Hubpages had their incomes decimated.

The old adage of 'don't keep all your eggs in one basket' applies here.

By all means have your own websites.

2. technogupshup profile image60
      technogupshupposted 3 years ago in reply to this

a very good idea to create your own website. because you can learn new funda from your own sites instead of third party sites. so i prefer own site and own domain instead of subdomains. carry on chek my own

1. Jean Bakula profile image97
        Jean Bakulaposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Good for you for taking the plunge. Just so you know, it takes longer to make money when your are by yourself, as opposed to being part of a large group site like Hubpages. So be patient and take the long view, so you'll have income coming in later in the future. I took a look and the site is nice. I would take the ad off the very top. You need ads, but I don't think anybody clicks the Google ones anymore, even here at HP. It doesn't look good so close to your blog title. Just move it down a bit. Also, you can use hyperlinks to other work you've done, to get your info more noticed. Good luck.

1. Learning in Life profile image93
          Learning in Lifeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm trying to figure out how to get the ads to appear in the way that hubpages ads do. But I will definitely take the ad down at the top if it looks bad. Thank you for the input.

2. technogupshup profile image60
          technogupshupposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Nice long term planning

2. Barbara Kay profile image84
    Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago

It will take some time to get your website going. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't take right off. That doesn't mean in a few years that you won't be earning good money from it. You will have to work harder at getting links pointing to the site, but in the end it should be worth it. You can get a few by including links to the site here at Hubpages on your similar hubs.

3. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 3 years ago

A wordpress site is dead simple to set up. Just find a nice wordpress theme, and get yourself a domain name (similar to your best keyword), and website hosting, and you're off and running. All that might cost $20 a year.

I presume your best hub is on the first page of the Google search results. You need to size up the competition there, and see how easy it would be to beat them to the top spot. There's various ways of doing so. One of the best is a site called ahrefs.com This is a really cool tool, which can find all the backlinks to any given website/page. If you know what to look for (# of backlinks, page rank of those links etc.), you'll have a very good idea of how many quality backlinks you'll need to beat them.

Good luck, Learning In Life.

4. LisaMarie724 profile image85
    LisaMarie724posted 3 years ago

You should go for it.  Take the advice from everyone here but make sure you take the leap.  It's not expensive to create your own site and if you don't you will probably end up regretting it.

5. viryabo profile image88
    viryaboposted 3 years ago

Go for it. If you don't do it now, you will do sometime, so now is the best time.
    I just decided to take the plunge one day, and now i have 4.

6. Learning in Life profile image93
    Learning in Lifeposted 3 years ago

Ok So I officially took the plunge. I created a Blogger blog and will buy a domain name later after I see some results. The site is TheArmyCareerCounselor.blogspot.com   Please check it out and let me know what you think about it. My competitors are ncoguide.com, armystudyguide.com and ncosupport.com I just don't want it to look amateur.