Computer Pros-Help! Trouble uploading pictures online

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (14 posts)
  1. ThePracticalMommy profile image88
    ThePracticalMommyposted 11 years ago

Any computer/tech pros out there? I've been having issues lately uploading pics to websites (Blogger, HubPages, eBay...) and I don't know what to do. I've already tried system clean-ups, running a malware detector, running my antivirus, and today I tried defragmenting and a system restore. I've never had problems like this before and it's driving me batty!

It seems to be a problem in all browsers. I mostly use Chrome, which has been updated recently. It started about two weeks ago when I was having problems saving posts on Blogger. I noticed my computer was acting a bit slower and took forever to upload photos to my blog. Next I was having issues with HubPages, and now eBay as well. The only thing the sites tell me is that there is an error uploading the photos. There's no code or anything to look up for troubleshooting.

I seem to have no problem uploading photos to sites like Facebook. I usually use my phone camera to take pictures and only in the past few days have begun using a DSLR for photos.

Help please?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is the camera set to record the photos in a format that the web site can't handle?  I had that problem with a new photo editor recently - the default format was some proprietary thing that no one had ever heard of.

ThePracticalMommyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure of the DSLR (still learning how to use it), but nothing to my knowledge has changed with my phone's camera...

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh.  I thought maybe it was pure DLSR now. 

Sorry, I can't help then.  I have enough trouble just finding the "on" button!

Thanks anyway, wilderness!

2. kschang profile image86
      kschangposted 11 years agoin reply to this

How are you uploading it? Did you "sync" them to computer first, then upload from the computer, or did you just hook up the camera and try to upload from the camera directly?

And what kind of problems are you having problems uploading?

Have you tried an image host, such as IMGUR.com?

I have been syncing them to the computer first and then uploading from the computer. Or, when I use my phone, I email them to myself and then download them to the computer before uploading them to a site.

I haven't tried IMGUR, but maybe I'll have to try something like that. Thanks!

3. ktrapp profile image92
      ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like you are able to get the photos onto your computer, but get an error whenever you try to upload them to various sites. It sounds like the issue could possibly be that you are exceeding the maximum file size allowed by these sites.

Open up your folder of photos on your computer and look at the files in list-view (not thumbnails) so you can see the file size column? Are the photos taken with your new camera way larger than your old photos that you were able to upload without any problems? If so, and as a test to see if file size is in fact the problem, you could just try to upload one of the old photos (that worked in the past) and see if you get an error or not. If file size is the issue you may need to adjust the resolution on your new camera.

On a side note, make sure you are backing up any photos you care about. I would suggest putting everything on the external hard drive that you have and burning them to DVDs too (they should be in two places in case one fails).

2. Ruth ferraz profile image61
    Ruth ferrazposted 11 years ago

Hi PraticalMommy,
    Maybe it could be a lot of images in your computer. Try to delete some docs you are not using anymore. Sometimes the PC becomes too "heavy" with so many pics and docs.
    When I dont get to fix my alone, I give up and I bring to Staples for the thec guy to fix it.
    I hope you can fix soon!

Ruth, that definitely may be a possibility that I just have too many files and pictures. Heaven knows I have a ton of pictures from the kids along with the ones for my blog, etc! I'll have to go through and delete what I don't need. Thanks for the suggestion!

3. Ruth ferraz profile image61
    Ruth ferrazposted 11 years ago

You can save a CD, DVD or a pen-driver, instad to delete!

I actually think my husband bought an external hard drive a while back. I'll have to save the important things to that. smile

4. atechwiz profile image65
    atechwizposted 11 years ago

I know you mention this happening in multiple browsers but one of the first things I would try would be to clear your browser history and cache.  It is amazing how often that solves browser related issues.  In the latest version of Chrome you simply need to click on the 3 vertical lines and drop down to settings.  From there click on history in the upper left.  Then click on clear all browsing data.  I would leave the four defaulted check marks for clearing browsing history, download history, empty the cache, and delete cookies and other site and plug in data.  I was working on a computer the other day where the browser was really acting weird.  Cleared the cache and all was well again.  Good luck.

5. writerjj profile image85
    writerjjposted 11 years ago

i agree with atechwiz. Simple solutions first smile
    anyway, by all browsers, am guessing that you are having trouble like loading pictures in either Chrome, FIrefox, IE, etc...? or is it with Chrome only but having trouble with different sites like FB, ebay, blogger, and any other sites?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)