jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)

Links to subdomain, indexing, serp, google rank

1. NateB11 profile image91
    NateB11posted 4 years ago

From what I can tell, might be wrong, your subdomain is linked when you comment on hubs, questions, and forums, in addition to backlinks placed outside hubpages and if you put an rss feed on your blog, etc. I'm wondering, particularly, if and how the links through commenting on hubs, forum, and questions affect indexing, search engine results page, and google rank of your subdomain.

1. brianrock profile image92
      brianrockposted 4 years ago in reply to this

All of those actions create links between other subdomains (or the main HubPages domain with the forum) and your subdomain. While there's no simple way to state or measure the affect of a single link, these links in the aggregate should help improve the authority of your subdomain and therefore help your hubs rank better.

In the long term, all of these links will help raise the PageRank of your profile page and your subdomain. Once your articles are published, they'll be linked to from your subdomain, and they'll receive some link juice from there. I've checked a few subdomains and found PageRanks ranging from 2 to 4. It follows that (all other things being equal) an article published on a subdomain with PageRank 4 would outperform an article on a subdomain with PageRank 2, which would outperform an article on a subdomain (or another website) with PageRank 1 or 0.

All other things rarely are equal, so it's hard to make absolute statements like that. But, I'd still stand by the general statement that activity in the HubPages community increases the strength of your subdomain which in turn helps provide strength to your Hubs in the SERPs.

As far as indexing goes... all of those links will lead Google's crawler back to your subdomain. So in theory, yes, that should improve the crawling rate of your subdomain if it was low for some reason.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Does    : doFollowButtons = false;   mean this page has nofollow tags?

It's all over the source code...

1. Techstuff profile image71
          Techstuffposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Your hubpage link via your profile name above is Dofollow.

2. brianrock profile image92
          brianrockposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nope.

When you look at the actual links, there is no "rel=nofollow" attribute applied to them. So the links are most definitely followed. It would be silly, SEO-wise, for HubPages to nofollow them anyway. The links are all contained within the larger HubPages domain; it's just being shuffled around. By being active, you're basically getting a larger share of the HubPages PageRank/LinkJuice pool than inactive members. Nofollow is better used for external links that you can't vouch for (i.e. comments on a blog to external websites).

The "doFollowButtons" is a Javascript function. It seems to activate the "Follow" button on your profile. The Follow button doesn't actually go anywhere, but clicking on it triggers a Javascript function that makes you follow that person. It makes sense semantically, too, since "doFollowButtons" would seem to mean "Make the Follow Button Do Something."

1. wilderness profile image95
            wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Well, that's why I ask; I'm still a real novice at most of the web.

Thanks for the invo.

1. Techstuff profile image71
              Techstuffposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Use firefox with this plugin.  Will help.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo … odofollow/

Highlights do follow links blue, nofollow red.

2. NateB11 profile image91
        NateB11posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for that detailed response, and it all makes sense; I had forgotten that hubs would be linked to subdomain when they're published; yes, I've noticed that too. It makes sense that all of these links are having this kind of effect, I'm seeing what you're saying. It's a bit of a complex web of links, and I find it fascinating, and I also think it's valuable to understand how it works.

working